Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat recently started vomiting and did not dedicated as usual

Customer Question

My cat recently started vomiting and did not dedicated as usual brought him to vet they put him on GD prescription diet that was a month ago he ate the food for a while then it seemed like he didn't want it anymore he usually goes twice a day everyday .I put him back on iams sensitive dry and I am giving him wet food also as of today he hasn't gone since Tuesday night please help
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me: Has he eaten since you changed him back to the Iams?Are you seeing him strain to pass feces?Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain? Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, string, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is eating his prescription diet again he is drinking a lot of water still has not gone (stool) no pain went touched u am taking him to his vet today
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,I am glad to see that he has no discomfort and is eating/drinking for you. Still I would note that if you think he is drinking a lot more then usual (more then you'd expect with his being on the dry diet), then we'd need to be wary of that since it can be a sign of health issues (ie metabolic diseases like diabetes or issues with the thyroid or also a hint of early stage organ troubles). Now that all aside, I do want to mention some options that we can use to just facilitate getting him passing feces since this has been going on too long for a cat who isn't off his food.
Normal
0
First, you can offer some cow milk. Kitties are like little lactose intolerant people, and while the love milk it can move things down the gut a bit quicker (ie. Cause mild diarrhea in an unconstipated cat). If he is mildly constipated, this might just get things moving in the right direction. You can also treat them with hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc). This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. . Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or mineral oil orally (ideally offer in wet food or if given via oral syringe then take care to avoid aspiration, since that would cause problems we'd best avoid) as a GI lubricant. Furthermore, if he is eating you and will accept wet food, then you can mix in some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water). Overall, I share your concern for the duration of his lack of feces. It is positive that he is comfortable and eating but we do need to make sure that he is passing stool regularly. Therefore, it is ideal that he has a check up today, but I would note that you can try the above in the meantime to see if you can get him to pass some stool. Of course, if he still does not, they his vet can have a feel of him to diagnose constipation +/- give him an enema to clear him out if needed. Please take care,Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,I have not heard back from you but just wanted to note that if you have any other questions, do let me know.Take care,Dr. B.