Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

What is the best way to get my hands on a cat that has gone

Customer Question

What is the best way to get my hands on a cat that has gone more or less feral and won't let me near him.
The problem is that he has long hair that tends to clump, especially along his stomach area. There are a lot of clumps and they ought to be trimmed.
The last time I could get him I snipped off some of these, but they really need veterinary shaving. Too many were so close to the skin that cutting them off would have cut the skin.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Sneaky Mr. Pipp!!!
I think you're going to have to get your hands on a live trap. Your vet may have some to rent, or your local pet store, or the humane society will be able to help you find one. Usually you won't have to buy one, but will probably be asked to leave a deposit for its use.
This way, Mr. Pipp won't have to be afraid of you, once you no longer have to grab him.
Your vet will know how to give him a mild sedative even while he is in the trap, and you might think about your vet also giving him an exam and routing vaccinations and deworming.
Dr. Barbara
Hi Barbara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Barbara