Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 7 year old female cat has a retro bulbar abscess. She's

Customer Question

My 7 year old female cat has a retro bulbar abscess. She's feeling very poorly. We go to a veterinarian opthomologist tomorrow. What can I do for her tonight?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Poor wee Mary!

Now I am glad to see that she is going to the opthamologist tomorrow if her vet has not been able to help her. In regards ***** ***** we can do tonight, we do need to tread with care. We can of course still use any meds (ie pain relief) dispensed by her vet but we'd not want to be throwing other medications into the mix, as this could change or mask the condition and affecting tomorrow's examination. Therefore, the only safe additional to those medications from her vet to give her some relief would be to gently warm compress her face in this region. The warmth with help reduce inflammation, soreness, and could help reduce some of the pressure on her skin and eye. We'd want to do this carefully with the eye so near, but a warm washcloth or soft warm compress could be used to give her some comfort until she is seen.

Otherwise, we would want to try and distract her from focusing on the discomfort.Just like in people, discomfort can make one feel more poorly when it is all we can focus on (which is why we all feel worse at night). So, we'd want to give her lots of cuddles if she is amenable. And as long as she isn't needing to be starved for tomorrow's visit, you can try tempting her with favorite foods or soft foods (ie pate style kitten food, meat baby food --as long as its garlic/onion free-, boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, etc). This will just get some nutrition in if she had any issues with eating (as many will) but again provide a brief distraction from the discomfort that is likely causing her to be withdrawn and feel poorly.

Please take care,

Dr. B.