Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

my eight year old cat just suddenly emptied his bladder in

my eight year old cat just suddenly emptied his bladder in a huge puddle on the floor. He
was acting completely ok and suddenly he was in a puddle and wet all over. What could
have happened to him? He is acting as if nothing happened.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Jack.
Very strange. Completely understand why you are asking.

A few points.
1. We can't rule-out a cause like a urinary tract infection, although I think we would both agree, most cats with infections do not let out a mass amount of urine and also saturate themselves

2. What about cystitis (bladder wall inflammation). Well, cats are generally straining to urinate with this condition

3. Bladder cancer. Well, its on the list, but shouldn't have resulted in a acute onset of urine everywhere.

What is my guess? A seizure

A seizure would explain why there was a huge urine puddle, and wet all over.
A seizure can last just a few seconds, and he could appear completely normal afterwards.

So, what to do?
Seizure or not, he clearly needs to get into a vet for basic testing.
A feline basic blood test and a urine test (urinalysis) may answer a lot of concerns, or at least rule-out many possible explanations.

What can tests tell you:
Chemistry Panel
CBC (complete blood count)
Urinalysis

Both, a blood and urine sample is usually easy for a veterinarian to obtain. A urine test is taken directly from a needle poke into the bladder, with a needle no bigger than what is used to give a vaccine.

Sorry to hear about this concern for Jack. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your answer makes sense. How urgent do you think this is. Do you think

it can wait for my vet tomorrow?

Tough call.
If not breathing last or labored to suggest distress, appearing normal in every other way, walking okay...I don't see why you couldn't wait.

Of course, if anything else irregular happens in next few hours, the ER trip may become more important.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Hello
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?