Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Feline Veterinarian in Practice 15 Years
2263760

I can feel a small possibly fluid filled pouch on my cats

I can feel a small possibly fluid filled pouch on my cat's skin under the fir and what seems to be scabbed area since it feels crusty or hard. What could this be? The cat does go outside usually once per day and was not sure if she was injured?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

What size is the fluid filled pouch? Is Sassy acting ill or having other symptoms? Does it bother her if you press on it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

she is acting normal but if you press on it she will try to get away. Last weekend she had a day when she acted like she did not feel well,did not eat and hid but better the next day.

Thank you how large is the swelling? What area of her body is it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It is about the size of a dime and it is on her left side near her ribs.

Thank you,

It could be a small abscess. Those are pretty common in cats that go outside. There is always bacteria on the skin. Any kind of wound allows bacteria to enter and cause an infection.

Since you can feel a scabbed area, there was probably a break in the skin.

Another likely cause would be a cat bite from another cat. Cat's have high bacterial counts in their mouths. So, a bite from another cat would likely cause an infection.

Since an abscess is caused by a bacterial infection, it is usually necessary to treat it with oral antibiotics. You would have to get the antibiotics from a vet as they do not sell them over the counter.

The vet can take a syringe and needle and draw some fluid out of the swelling. If it looks like "pus" then it is an abscess.

Abscesses are also usually painful when you press of them.

They can cause the cat to feel lethargic or even have a fever.

If the vet draws out a sample, and it is bloody, then it is a hematoma which means she has injured that area and caused a small area of bleeding in the skin. That should heal on it's own.

If she is acting completely normal, and the swelling is getting smaller, then you can probably just monitor her and the swelling should break open and go away in about a week. You can apply over the counter Neosporin as needed.

If she seems lethargic, or the swelling is not resolving or growing, then she needs to see a vet.

I hope this helps.

If you need more information, please reply again.

Thanks

Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Feline Veterinarian in Practice 15 Years