Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

My 15 year old female cat was diagnosed with diabetes about

My 15 year old female cat was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 years ago and I gave her insulin injections twice a day. She was lucky enough to go into remission and the insulin was stopped. She had been great for years, but then became very hungry all the time, I increased her food to three cans of single serve cat food a day, and more dry food, but she has become more and more skinnier, she will drink a whole bowl of water a day and uses the litter tray more often to urinate.She is very sleepy, although she still likes to play, but now she has vomited up milky colored vomited. We thought maybe she was losing weight because of her age, but do you think it could be diabetes? Roseanne
Hi Roseanne, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear about this current concern for Chiara.

Certainly older cats can lose weight as part of their aging process but they don't typically have the other signs you describe.

Diabetes is certainly one possible explanation for her signs..hunger in the face of weight loss, and increased thirst/urination...but Hyperthyroid Disease can also present this way. Not all cats will vomit with either one of these conditions but some will.

It's sometimes difficult to distinguish between these two conditions unless or until blood work is done.
I particularly like Hyperthyroid Disease when it's diagnosed in an older cat because we have many good treatment options...I consider it much better than Diabetes as diseases go.

Diet, oral medication, compounded drugs which can be made into tasty treats or gels that are rubbed into the ear or even surgery are all viable options for a Hyperthyroid cat.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that her diabetes has returned. I'd have bloodwork done to evaluate her glucose level and her T4 and hope that the latter is elevated.

I hope this helps. Deb

Thanks so much for the rating and bonus; it's greatly appreciated.

And, good luck with Chiara; I'll be hoping that she's diagnosed with Hyperthyroid disease rather than diabetes.

Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.

Hi Roseanne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb