Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is having surgery tomorrow to remove her femoral head

My cat is having surgery tomorrow to remove her femoral head due to avascular necrosis. I have been reading online that exercise is recommended ASAP after surgery in order to maintain range of motion, etc. I do not walk my cat but would her walking around after surgery be acceptable? I will confine her in my bedroom but do you think that is too large of a space for her?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

You are correct. We prefer to get these guys up and moving on the leg as soon as possible after an FHO surgery. The reason is because we want those muscles moving to prevent any contractures of the muscles from forming.

You don't need to force exercise, but I would try to encourage movement at home. You can confine her to a small room, but try to encourage her to get up and move around- walk her around the room to get to her food. That will be helpful to keep the muscles moving and allow more rapid healing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! Now my condo is approximately 972 square feet. I assume that I should not let her roam around the whole house? Just my bedroom?

Correct, I would confine her to the bedroom for the first week. After that, she can have full reign.
Hi Robin,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Everything is great thank you. She is home now and doing well.

Good deal, thanks for the update.