Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My cat has not eaten for two days. His mouth seems fine.

My cat has not eaten for two days. His mouth seems fine. His stomach feels fine. He continuously purrs and seems happy. He drank some water and threw it up.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any diarrhea or coughing?
2- Is he strictly indoors?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. No

2. Hasn't been outside for weeks.

3. None

4. getting thin - worried about dehydration

Wendy, not eating is not a disease but a sign of an underlying medical problem. The fact that he vomited after he drank water further supports a medical problem. There are many different diseases that can cause anorexia and vomiting in cats. Common causes are: dietary indiscretion, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, inflammation or even secondary to a systemic disease (kidney or liver disease). In an older patient like Arnold we tend to be concern about a systemic disease. To determine the exact underlying cause Arnold is going to need a hands on examination with a veterinarian and some testing (chemistry profile, CBC & UA) as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. If possible blend the food and feed him with a dropper. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Hi Wendy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter