Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

I recently used atopical antiflee med on my cat (sergents)

I recently used atopical antiflee med on my cat (sergents) and I thik he is having a reaction to it
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Sebastian.
Yep. not surprised at all.

I see this a lot with sargeant's and hartz products, and the reactions can get quite severe with:
- vomiting
- diarrhea
- loss of appetite
- hives like reaction on the skin
- local reaction and hairloss at the site of application.

You can try washing some of it off using Dawn dish soap.

You can give Benadryl to a cat (easier said than done). A ¼ tablet of 25mg benadryl for a cat 6-8 pounds, and a ½ tablet if around 12 pounds. Up to every 12 hours.
If using children's benadryl liquid, a 8-12 pound cat can take 1/2 to 1 teaspoon.

But, you may have to get into a emerency vet if any symptoms get worse.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Theresa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?