Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have a yellow tabby that has always been very loving and

I have a yellow tabby that has always been very loving and wants to always be close. Recently, he has had some sort of issue where he acts kind of crazy. His back and fur starts to ripple then he runs like someone is chasing him. Tonight he was sleeping on my chest and I was just rubbing his tummy while he slept. All of a sudden he opened his eyes, had very large pupils, jumped off of me and sat by me. The minute I got up, he attacked my foot and bit me, when I said no, he continued to do that if I moved. It was like he had this thing about having to bite something. He hasn't been sick and has been eating and drinking regularly. Is it a neurologic thing? or do you think there is something drastically wrong?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Sorry about the wait, we have been having some issues with the site tonight.

It sounds like your cat has a condition we call Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome. This is something we'll see rarely in cats. The signs you are describing are pretty classic- the rolling skin, running around, they're hyper-reactive to touching and they can get aggressive.

We don't know why this happens in cats, but we see these classic signs. There are a few options for treating- Prozac, Gabapentin, Valium type meds, pain meds. The one that I find to be the most helpful is Gabapentin. We use it for nerve pain in animals as well as seizures in some other animals. I find that it helps the most for this condition.

I would try to get a video of your cat doing this behavior and then set up an appointment with your vet to see if you can get him on Gabapentin. It may not be an every day medication, but it can be used as needed for the signs.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Sharon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?