Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

Hi this is courtney, just replying back. He is doing well,

Hi this is courtney, just replying back. He is doing well, except his top gum is grey where his main right top fang is :( Im thinking its dead and going to rot.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Christian K. :

Hello Courtney.

Dr. Christian K. :

Do you think you can take a picture and post it in a reply for me?

Dr. Christian K. :

Is the tooth a normal color and the gums are discolored?

Customer:

im at work right now, my bf will try to take a pic and send it to me now

Customer:

the tooth is a normal color its the gum that its connected too

Dr. Christian K. :

Normally if the tooth is in danger it will be discolored such as dark or grey. I'm not so worried if it is the gums.

Customer:

will the gum go back to normal you think?

Customer:

he doesn't seem sick..he runs around like a kitten, plays fetch, and eats normal

Dr. Christian K. :

It's possible that its a normal color for his gums. Some cats have different coloring or splotches on their gums.

Dr. Christian K. :

I wouldn't worry about the tooth if it looks normal though. If the gums look inflamed and red or oozing then I'd worry.

Customer:

okay

Dr. Christian K. :

I suspect he'll be fine.

Customer:

what happens when he loses the tooth, and then his gown up one doesnt grow in because the gum is dead

Dr. Christian K. :

damage to the gums won't injure the tooth. The only time the tooth will be damaged is if the root of the tooth itself is damaged. Gums will actually heal very quickly, within days of the injury so I don't think the electrocution would still be causing gum damage at this point. If the adult tooth doesn't come in then you'll know it was damaged. It won't come out if it is damaged.

Customer:

oh..so the baby tooth will stay in if there is something damaged?

Dr. Christian K. :

The baby tooth should still fall out there just won't be an adult tooth that comes up underneath.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

this is as good as he could get by himself

Dr. Christian K. :

That's a good picture. That is damage to the gums but that should still heal without tooth damage I think. He may need some antibiotics if things don't improve in the next couple of days. It should start to get smaller as it heals.

Customer:

weve been giving him his clindrops every other day

Dr. Christian K. :

Most clindrops are given daily.

Dr. Christian K. :

That is a good antibiotic for this situation though.

Customer:

okay

Customer:

do you suggest in getting more clin drops because we are below just past half in the bottle left

Dr. Christian K. :

Gums are generally very quick to heal luckily.

Dr. Christian K. :

I'd recommend finishing what you have then have him rechecked to see if he needs more.

Customer:

okay great. Thank you very much Dr. Christian

Dr. Christian K. :

You're welcome. Good luck to you and Rico.

Customer:

much appreciated

Dr. Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior