Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My cat has what looks like a rash on the top of her head and

Customer Question

My cat has what looks like a rash on the top of her head and underneath her ears. It was small but now it has spread all over her head. What can i do or give her to make this better
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- How old is your cat?
3- Is she scratching the area?
4- Can you describe the appearance of the rash?
5- Is she strictly indoors?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

She just started with this about 2 weeks ago, we took her to get her shots and afterwards it started. She is 2 years old. She does scratch the area and yes she is an indoor cat. The rash looks like this

April, thank you for the picture.

She has a localized bacterial infection made worst by the scratching. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from scratching or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from scratching at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

Note: Make sure soap does not fall in her eye, be careful.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Is what she has hotspots?

Yes, you can call it a hot spot.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

A friend of mine told me she used this on her cat when she had gotten something similar to it. Can i try this if what you told me does not work?

I have never used this April, so I can not comment on it. But, the recommendations I provided I have used thousand of times and work really well. l would prefer you stick with what I recommended; it is safe, inexpensive and effective.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

well thank you very much for your help i really appreciate it. I will try what you are recommending and hope it works. I hate seeing my cat like this.

You're Welcome.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Hi April,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Good morning Dr. Peter. My cat seems to be doing ok. I have been washing the area with Hibiclens twice a day and putting Neosporin, so far it looks to be working. There are no new spots and it seems the ones she had that were oozing of pus have dried up. So hopefully after a couple of more days she will be fine. Do you know if her hair will grow back in these areas where she has the rash or is completely gone?

Good Morning April, I am happy to learn your cat is doing better. Yes, the hair will grow back; it may take weeks but it will grow back.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you very much for your help.

You're welcome.