Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have a three year old domestic short hair cat. Two days ago,

I have a three year old domestic short hair cat. Two days ago, he vomited profusely in the AM. The content was clearly undigested cat treats (Trader Joes - which he has never had a problem with) That evening he had very little appetite and did not display the energy and personality he commonly has. Yesterday, just after eating in the afternoon, he did the same - vomiting everything.

We immediately took him to the vet and X-rays revealed no obstructions. He was given some fluids and something for the nausea and when we came home he quickly ate food that we gave him.

However, he has had no appetite since and is still very lethargic (and possibly a little warm - although that could be subjective on my part).

Thoughts please?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

That's good that he's not doing any further vomiting. I'm also glad that the x-rays were normal. That doesn't fully rule out an obstruction, but it makes it less likely. The cause of the vomiting and decreased appetite is likely from some type of infection/ inflammation in the stomach, intestines or pancreas gland. Those are all quite common in cats as a cause of nausea and decreased appetite.

I would prefer to put him on an antibiotic like Metronidazole or Baytril. Both are good for bugs in the GI tract. I would also put him on some Pepcid AC (Famotidine). Pepcid is available over the counter. You can pick that up and give him 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet every 12-24 hours. Pepcid will help some of the GI upset.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.