Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My cat has kidney disease. She now is being given fluids for

My cat has kidney disease. She now is being given fluids for 5 days. She comes home tomorrow. My vet indicated that she has anemia - likely linked to the kidney disease - and indicated that there is a medication that could help but it is not available in our area. She said to look at but there are several there. What can you suggest?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
There is only 1 product, that is routinely used by vets, to help stimulate the blood cat in cats with chronic kidney disease.

It is an injection called epogen.

Epogen Treatment

I have not heard of many owner's giving this at home, but perhaps your vet is inferring you order it and then they give it.

Epogen is the only medication they could be suggesting that would be of any benefit.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions first. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply, Dr .Andy. How often must epogen be given? Since it is an injection, I assume I would bring her to the vet whenever she needs it.

Hi Pat,
Not sure about giving it. That is up to your vet, although I do not encourage this particular injection being done at home.
Frequency depends a bit on the severity of the anemia.

Often, it starts at 3 times a week until a certain blood count is reached, and then decreased to once or twice a week.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, your answers were very helpful, Dr. Andy.

Thank you, Pat

You are very welcome.
Good Luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One other question - is Aranesp better than/as good as Epogen?

Hi Patricia,
Epogen is more classically used by vets, but both are options. Especially, if one is significantly more cost-effective and available, you really could go either way.

Dosing will be a bit different, which you would have to discuss with your vet. Some vets, simply have preferences based on what they have used in the past.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

From what I understand though, there is less chance of the body creating antibodies with Aranesp.

Hi Patricia,
I would not necessarily say that. You would really need to get a internal medicine specialist involved. I don't personally think the concern for antibodies is a deciding factor between the two. I would think more about availability, cost, ease of administration, etc..

Plus, if your vet is more familiar with epogen, stick with epogen.