Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

Hi, we have a scottish fold cat 3 years turned out

Hi, we have a scottish fold cat 3 years old.
it turned out that he has a genetic decease - his rear legs have problems with bones.
they are growing out of the toe, the pawns have been inflated.
we have been using a medication which helped for some period, but now the decease is progressing again
What can you recommend to stop the bad process.
Thank you,

Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I am so sorry to hear that Berrimore is affected by Scottish Fold osteochondrodysplasia.

Unfortunately this is a progressive disease that cannot be cured. It is due to genetics in the breed that leads to proliferative changes and arthritis, especially in the vertebral column, feet and legs.

Recommended palliative treatments are oral glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate supplements to improve joint comfort, the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory meloxicam intermittently for pain and injectable Pentosan (Elmiron trade name) but none of them will stop the progression of the disease completely.

Other options are surgery to remove excess bone and irradiation of affected joints to slow excess tissue production.

I am sorry to say that the only thing we can do is change breeding practices so no more affected cats are born. Unfortunately we cannot cure affected cats, we can only do our best to keep them comfortable.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Kara,

thank you for the quick response.

I have couple more questions.

We currently use ARTHRO-IONX Homeopathic drops (Arthrits & Joint Formula.

1. What else oral medication brand names you can recommend for the treatments you brought above ( Elmiron is the injections only or both?).

2. How can we get this medication?

Also, the hard question.

Of course, we love our kitten deadly.

3. What would be a Berrimore's fate of if we do not go for surgery.

Is this process will indefinitely progressing and the damaged legs will become bigger and the bone in the hill will keep growing?

He is very calm and does not look suffer from pain.

Will he be able to live with this and (just an idea) for how long (actually he is 4).

If you just have any idea and/or maybe have met similar cases.

Thanks a lot,

Thanks for the further questions, I understand that this is heartbreaking to see happening with him. I'll answer your questions in order.

2. How can we get this medication?

Elmiron is a human formulation of Pentosan. There aren't any formulations that are labeled for use in cats but we can use the human formulation, Elmiron, at a dose of 1/2 of a 50mg capsule twice daily. It is best given on an empty stomach so your veterinarian may need to have it formulated for him by a compounding pharmacy, splitting the human product into 2 capsules for you. In other countries there are injectable formulations available as Pentosan Injectable for use in dogs and horses. A compounding pharmacy may be able to make that as well and it is given by injection. Most owners choose the pill formulation in cats. I'm sorry I'm not sure what happened to my original response but it should have read "injectable Pentosan or the oral human product (Elmiron trade name)". Somehow some words got left out, my apologies. Pentosan is a prescription product so you can only get it from your veterinarian or via them writing a prescription.

As far as glucosamine/chondroitin products my favorites are Cosequin or Dasuquin.

These are available over the counter, no prescription needed, at pet stores, via and through your veterinarian.

I actually don't think surgery is a great idea for most cats. The bony proliferation will continue no matter what we do, we are just trying to slow it down and cushion the joints. Surgery is for those cats that are crippled, unable to get around comfortably at all and there is no other option. Recovery after surgery is painful, any bone/joint surgery is, and complications like bone or joint infections are possible. I don't think the possible positive benefits nor the comfortable quality of life gained is enough to offset painful surgery in most cases.

I think because this has been a slowly progressive process for him he doesn't realize what normal feels like and is coping with the pain, but I do believe that he does have some pain. As long as he is able to cope and seems happy I think he can go on. Quality of life is so important so watch for changes in personality (hiding when he is usually a social fellow or becoming clingy when he is usually aloof) as that tells us a lot. Watch for changes in appetite too or him unable to enjoy playing.

When we can no longer keep him happy (with the glucosamine/chondroitins, Pentosan and Metacam) then we need to consider humane euthanasia. I cannot say how long that will be because it depends upon how severely he is affected, and how quickly he is progressing. All I can say is if you watch him closely you will know when his quality of life is no longer as good as it should be.

Fortunately I have not had any of these cases personally, but I went to a seminar that discussed them and as soon as I saw your question his symptoms stood out.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your extended answer. We will follow the advise and will get a new medicine for Berrimore to support him as long as possible for his comfort.

Using this opportunity I wanted to get a second opinion from you regarding our second cat (we have two).

His name is XXXXX XXXXX is 5 years old Persian.

Unlike Berrimore, he goes outside and actively hunts around the backyard.

Recently (couple of weeks ago ) he started coming to our bathroom and urinating in our shower. Than calling us, trying to show what happen. The urine is of brown color and also there are separate small blood paddles.

He still looks alert, eats and runs as usual, but always leaking his affected spot and trying to reach out to our attention.

We went to the veterinarian, but no concrete diagnosis.

Got prescribed for antibiotics. Provided urine specimen, but still nothing specific found, they say it maybe infection or so.

Do you have any other opinion on this case.

thank you in advance.

I'm sorry to hear about Cosmos.

Blood in the urine can signify a urinary tract infection, crystals or stones in the urinary tract or a mass in the urinary tract. It can also indicate a clotting disorder, either due to ingesting rodent poison or liver disease as the liver makes clotting factors, tick borne diseases or autoimmune diseases (body attacking itself). Other possibilities are a systemic infection (throughout the body) such as from a bacterial infection or an inflammatory condition called interstitial cystitis.

I know that he has seen his veterinarian but because his troubles continue I think more diagnostic testing needs to be done. I recommend a urinalysis with a culture to look for signs of infection or crystals. If your veterinarian feels a thickened bladder upon examination radiographs of his abdomen should be done. An ultrasound would also allow them to check for radiolucent calculi (not seen on regular radiographs), a mass in the urinary tract and evaluate his bladder wall for signs of interstitial cystitis. Interstitial cystitis is a poorly understood inflammatory condition that causes thickening of the bladder wall, discomfort, a poor mucous layer on the bladder wall and bleeding of the bladder lining. It seems to worsen with stressful conditions. Certainly given all that is going on with Berrimore he may be feeling stressed. I do believe he is painful and he is definitely asking for help by showing you his abnormal urine.

Your veterinarian may also want to check blood tests for signs of internal organ disease with a complete blood count and biochemistry profile.

In the meantime I recommend increasing fluid intake as much as possible via canned diets, a kitty drinking fountain and offering low salt chicken broth or tuna juice to drink.

You can use a product called Feliway. It's a synthetic pheromone that reduces anxiety. Here's a link that discusses its use :

In short there are several things that can cause blood in the urine beyond crystals and infections in the urinary tract. Sometimes extensive diagnostics need to be done to pin things down.

Hopefully the information I have given you will help find the cause of Cosmo's problem.

Please reply should you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Kara,

Thank you very much for your professional and thoughtful answers.

I will definitely follow your suggestions.

Best of luck,

You are very welcome. Thank you for the positive rating and your generosity.

Best of luck with both of your kitties, Dr. Kara.

Hi Stav,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Berrimore. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara