Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I have three cats. They are 3 years old (two are brother and

I have three cats. They are 3 years old (two are brother and sister, the other is from a different mom). We just moved to a new house and the sister (of the brother and sister duo) is firmly planted under my daughter's bed. We have been at our new home for less than a week; but the other two are out and about and exploring, while she just stays under the bed. We brought in the litter box for her and her food and water to make sure she eats and drinks. When she ventures out she is shaking. What should I do?

Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I'm so sorry to hear that Saber is so stressed out by the move.

I'm sure that the new place smells completely different and there are new noises and it looks completely different. She may feel that she is invading someone else's space and may be attacked at any time. If the previous owners had pets that may be making things worse.

To help ease her stress you can try using Feliway sprays or diffusors. These are synthetic pheromones which mimic those produced to mark areas as safe and many cats find them soothing. You can also use pheromone calming collars as well. See this link for some examples:

If these measures aren't enough you can try a homeopathic calming oral medication called Bach's Rescue Remedy. This can be placed in her food or water and it won't hurt the other cats in they ingest it as well.
See this link for further information:

And you could discuss oral medications with your veterinarian as well such as fluoxetine or amitriptyline as calming agents to decrease her stress.

Make sure to leave her toys laying around the house as well so that she has familiar objects around even if the layout is different. It may help to rub towels on her and leave them around the house so it starts to smell like her house.

Play soft music or the television to mask other unfamiliar sounds from outdoors or from the house itself.

Don't force her to come out, the more you force things the more she will fight it and her anxiety will ramp up. Do give her lots of tasty treats and praise when she does come out though, even for a short time.

Best of luck with your poor little one, let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Wendy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara