CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 31 years of clinical experience, with the past 22 years being in a feline-exclusive practice.
74496554

I have 8 - 13 feral cats come and eat on my deck twice a day.

I trapped 8 of them last summer and had them spade/neutered and immunized.4 of the 13 are kittens that I didn't meet til afterwards. Anyways..... one of the kittens from last year, a male, has what appears to be a neurological disorder or disease. He has great difficulty walking and maintaining his balance and has fallen on my deck numerable times. However, he receives much affection from the others in my "pride" and does make it up here to eat most days. I hate to see him suffering and seriously thought of catching him and having him euthanized. My son suggested that maybe the cat wasn't suffering. I am. And catching him and taking him somewhere to be euthanized would be more traumatic for him than dying this winter. Please, I would like to do what is best for this
this poor sweet animal.

CalCatDoc :

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your questions about that little boy cat.

CalCatDoc :

Have you been able to observe this problem of his long anough to tell if it is getting worse or staying the same?

CalCatDoc :

*enough

Customer:

It is getting worse. I've seen him for a year. Originally, he looked like he had a spinal injury. Held his head crooked and somewhat his whole body.

Customer:

Over the past 3 weeks he has gotten worse. 2 weeks ago he held his back paw up as if it was broken or ;injured for 3 days. Now his paws seem

CalCatDoc :

That's not good. I was hoping that he had an unchanging problem with coordination that would most likely be cerebellar hypoplasia (from early exposure to panleukopenia/distemper virus). because those cats can live with the problem.

CalCatDoc :

I wonder if he IS a CH kitty that has suffered injuries as a result of his handicap?

Customer:

fine but he a a difficult gait and swings his head around.... I think to help him keep his balance.

CalCatDoc :

Let me find you some videos and you can see if any of them are like him.

Customer:

Okay!

CalCatDoc :

Here is some basic background on the problem for you while I search: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=3038

CalCatDoc :

This is a housecat with it. It can vary tremendously in severity. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLlL24shW7E

CalCatDoc :

Here are a bunch of Youtube videos of CH cats. Have a look at some of them to get a feel for whether or not your little friend is like this: https://www.youtube.com/results?q=feline+cerebellar+hypoplasia&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=w1 If you find one that really fits, send the link back to me. I know this might take a while but I need to know what sort of thing you are seeing and if CH isn't it then we don't want to dwell on it.

Customer:

I watched the videos and Mr. Crooked (my name for him) acts a lot like Charley. I did have him Mom spade and immunized before she ever brought

Customer:

her kittens out to us. I don't know how old he was but it seems to fit with CH. If he's not in pain, then I feel better about letting him survive and not putting him to sleep. He is loved and is affectionate to the others in his "pride". You have given me great relief. Thank you!

CalCatDoc :

Let me find you some links for additional info and support

Customer:

Thank you!

CalCatDoc :

http://chcat.org/

CalCatDoc :

Basically these cats are like kids with cerebral palsy. They can make excellent pets and since the condition is not progressive they can live a normal lifespan. I do recommend you get him to your local vet for an exam and discussion to confirm what I suspect. Good luck!