Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and Practice owner. 12+ years of practice
21393945

I have an elder tabby cat. She is probably about 12 years

I have an elder tabby cat. She is probably about 12 years old and has arthritis. She eats well and seems to poop and pee. Nothing out of the ordinary. However, lately after she eats she will let out a howling cry as if she is pain. I am getting ready to take her to the vet. I don't know what she is trying to tell me and I don't want her to suffer. Any ideas?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor Jeff replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. It is not uncommon in older cats to have some pretty dramatic dental disease. This can include the rotting of a tooth root or infection. This can be painful especially when eating and drinking. Your vet will likely inspect the mouth pretty thoroughly. In some cases, a tooth can be so loose that it will be ready to fall out. These can be extracted pretty easy. Some are a lot tougher and require a full dental cleaning and anesthesia to address the tooth. Your vet may also use antibiotics and/or pain meds depending on what is noted.
The vocalization can also be a sign of hyperthyroidism. This also tends to occur in older cats. The thyroid gland tends to produce too much hormone which accelerated the metabolism and appetite. These cats tend to be very vocal especially around the food bowl.
Senility can also lead to more vocalizations, but based on your description, I do not think that it is a big factor in Romy's case. I would tend to think of dental disease or thyroid problems as the most likely issue. Certainly, other issues, like arthritis, oral/nasal tumors, hypertension, stress, urinary tract disease, etc are all possible as well. I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Thanks
Dr. Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal General Practitioner and Practice owner. 12+ years of practice
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks Dr. Jeff. I will make an appointment and be sure and take Romy to be checked. I appreciate your expertise advice.

No problem. Good Luck!!!!!!