Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

We have a 14 or 15 week old shelter kitten, male. He had an

We have a 14 or 15 week old shelter kitten, male. He had an upper respiratory infection and was on Clavamox. He know seems to have a leaky rear end and lots of small, probably not solid feces. This AM, the bathroom had many mucous / feces deposits. What to do w kitten diarrhea?

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Mittens' stool situation. How long have you had him? Is he still eating and drinking well? Any recent changes of food?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We adopted him about a month ago. Yes, the shelter gave us the food he had there and we tried to transition slowly to new stuff. Been consistent with that since then. He seemed fine with it in the beginning. But yes, still eating and drinking well.

Thanks for all that information Cheryl. Do you feel that the loose stools started at the time of the Clavamox starting up? How long ago did he finish that or is he still on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He was done w it about a week ago and I feel they were a bit of an issue during the end of it but have gotten much worse and really bad from last night to this AM. He was perfectly litter trained when we got him - I think he can't control it and it sort of "leaks".

When they get diarrhea / stools like this, it can be very hard to control it as well as they used too. They can also have inflammation of the colon when they have this and it can cause them to not hold it as well. In this situation, the best thing to do would be to take him and a fresh stool sample to your vet for them to evaluate it for any intestinal parasites and protozoal organisms. My suspicion is that a course of oral medications will be needed to correct this the quickest. There may be an overgrowth of bacteria or coccidia at the heart of this. Sometimes a course of antibiotics can throw off the flora in the intestinal tract and cause similar issues. It is something that some owners could try time and bland food to see if it resolves it. But, I would elect to go for the vet visit and the fecal evaluation and the most specific therapy they can start up. The reason is that this will get the "leaks" stopped the fastest so they aren't on and around the house!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I figured. How "fresh" does this sample need to be? We did the stool evaluation for parasites as a part of the initial check-up and none were found so they said. How large does it need to be? Can I sandwich baggie it - what type of container would be best for a vet to accept?

Ideally the stool is one in the last 6 to 12 hours. Ones that are all dried up aren't ideal. Stool evaluations are a hit and miss situation. When one is run, it is looking for parasites in that sample. If they weren't present in high numbers or not shedding eggs at that time further up the intestinal tract or not yet down to the intestinal tract, the sample may have been read as a negative when in fact there are some in the body. It is like a gallon of chocolate chip ice cream. If there are very few chocolate chips in the mix and a small scoop is taken, if you looked at the scoop you'd call it vanilla. That is good that none were found before, and hopefully none are there now. This has a strong chance of being a bacterial overgrowth colitis due to the clavamox. As far as size of the sample, if you get about the size of a quarter or more, they can use / evaluate that. You can absolutely put it in a baggie. That is the transportation vehicle of choice at my clinic.
Hi Cheryl,

I'm curious to hear how Mittens is doing at this time. Did your vet get a specific diagnosis? What therapy did they start up? I'm hoping that he's doing better now!