Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

cat not eating, vomiting, no bowel movement, no energy, not

cat not eating, vomiting, no bowel movement, no energy, not drinking water
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduat, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Holly Berry.
As I am sure you already know, it can be quite serious that she cannot keep any food down.

Vomiting causes can include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

Loss of appetite is a big red flag in cats. Why?
When a cat goes just a few days without eating properly, they break down their fat. We would all do it. But, cats place fat into the liver causing much more severe illness called hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver syndrome).

Because of this liver worry, there is not much time to work with, as well as, I am worried that a foreign body may be causing this distress.

Although not easy to give cats pills, you can give a ¼ tablet of Pepcid A.C. 10mg antacid up to every 12 hours.

Pepcid is very safe for cats, and your best bet to settle the stomach some. But, as I know you are aware, a vet visit, and very soon is going to be a must if these symptoms persist.

Emergency:
If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly

Also, if you gently put pressure on the belly, if it is already tense or painful, I would also get to an ER vet right now.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.