Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

I have a 15 year old cat with cancer and arthritis... Shes

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old cat with cancer and arthritis... She's under a vets care and we're trying prednisolone twice daily at 5 mg. We were giving 10 mg once daily... Now I think she's in pain tonight. The vet had mentioned tramadol as another option to help with arthritis. We still have some left over from her cancer surgery. Now our vet is closed and I'm wondering if I can give her a tramadol tonight on top of the pred. She is also just starting to wheeze occasionally from cancer spread to lungs so I don't want to do anything to depress respiration.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 7 months ago.

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am very sorry to hear about Neko. Definitely feel free to give her tramadol if she is in pain tonight. The tramadol will definitely help her with the pain tonight to be more comfortable. You can try to give her a 1/4 of a 25 mg tablet. That should definitely provide relief for her tonight and provide comfort.

Customer:

So it is okay for that dose to be given on top of the pred? The meds don't interfere with each other? Thank you!

Dr. Whitehead :

yes it is. Tramadol will not interact with prednisone.

Customer:

That is very reassuring, thank you!

Dr. Whitehead :

You are very welcome! please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
Hi Kelly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the follow up. I did give neko a tramadol the night we spoke to you and it helped. After consultation with our regular vet we added the tramadol at a low dose to help with the pain. Today she was up and walking around more so I was glad. The cancer diagnosis is tough (It's spread to the lungs) and the arthritis on top of it seems so unfair. We'll do everything we can to keep her as well as we can for as long as we can. We appreciate your assistance during a tough time.

You are welcome and I hope she has some good comfortable time left with you all.