Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My 6 year old male cat wheezes occasionally (once every two

My 6 year old male cat wheezes occasionally (once every two months). I had thought he was trying to expel a hairball. Today he coughed up bright red blood (about a teaspoon). He seems happy and active even after this incident. Could this be benign and self-limiting?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduat, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Stanley.

Yes, it is possibly self-limiting, but we don't know for sure.

What concerns me is the origin of this blood. Is it stomach? Is it from the lungs?

If nothing more occurs and a few days go by, its hard to say if there is a signficant concern.
If you observe any more wheezing, loss of appetite, difficulty breathing, you must get into a vet for evaluation. I would also strongly consider some x-rays to evaluate those lungs to see if there is any concern for a bronchitis, asthma, or other lung problem.

Sorry to hear about this concern. Definitely, keep a very close eye on Stanley. Can't really recommend any particular at home therapy under these circumstances since we really have no idea the cause.
Even a cough suppressant would not be recommended.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.