Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Misi is a year old Domestic Shorthair. She continuely poops

Misi is a year old Domestic Shorthair. She continuely poops in an area away from her litter box, which is cleaned once a week. I scoop as soon as she uses the box, but she walks away from the litter box and poops on a rugged area. I am beside myself on what to do.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduat, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Misi.
Sometimes, the causes for inappropriate urination or defecation can be the same.

Many cats have preferences. They prefer to poop in a paritcular type of litter. Or, they prefer a larger litter box. Some cats do not like when a litter box has a top on it. Many cats will go inappropriately when the box is not cleaned often enough. Once a week definitely needs to be reduced to every 2-3 days for sure.

But, once they go in the incorrect spot, they start thinking that is where they always need to go. Very frustrating!

Options for treating inappropriate defecation or urination, assuming not due to systemic (internal) problems including infection:
- All areas where your pet is urinating must be cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner.
Examples include:
Nature’s Miracle
Urineoff
Mistermax

-You can apply double-sided tape to reduce your cat’s wanting to urinate or defecate in the area or place furniture in the way.
-You can try to attract your cat more to the litter box by spraying feline pheromone in the litter box:
Feliway Spray **this is important
Frequently Asked Questions about Feliway
or
Pheromone Collar NurtureCalm
-Sometimes, using a different type of litter can help. (Scented vs. unscented) (Clumping vs. non-clumping)
-Always make sure there are more litter boxes. For one cat, there should be at least 2 litter boxes. If multiple cats, they each should have a litter box plus one extra.

-Other deterrents can include placing aluminum foil in the area of inappropriate urination. This can work as well, but should be used after the enzymatic cleaning of the area has been done as well.

Inappropriate Urination in Cats
-Lastly, work with your veterinarian. There are medications that can also be of benefit:

Buspirone (Buspar)
Fluoxetine (Reconcile / Prozac)

Inappropriate Urination or Defecation

Inappropriate Elimination Habits

Forget medications for now. I never recommend medical management for this type of problem until many other things have been tried including:
- enzymatic cleaning
- deterrants
- adding a second litter box
- possibly changing the type of litter
- cleaning box more often.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.