Dr. Bleakley
Dr. Bleakley, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  Surgery & emergency medicine. University College Dublin & Colorado State University.
75057054

My 11 week old kitten has a respiratory infection. 8/27 she

My 11 week old kitten has a respiratory infection. 8/27 she was given an injection of Polyflex and I have been giving her .3ml of Amoxi drops twice daily. Yesterday one of her eyes started to tear. Today it is inflamed. Is this part of the same infection? Will the Amoxi drops help?

Dr. Bleakley :

Hello, my name isXXXXX and I'd be happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Bleakley :

I'm sorry to hear about Abby's illness.

Dr. Bleakley :

The signs you're describing are very typical for an upper respiratory tract infection in cats...

Dr. Bleakley :

They are almost always viral in origin (feline herpesvirus or calici virus) and the virus often affects the conjunctiva which is why you are seeing Abby starting to tear...

Dr. Bleakley :

The amoxi drops will not help with a viral infection (just like if you go to the doctor an antibiotic will not directly treat a cold) but have likely been prescribed for secondary bacterial infection than can affect the trachea, bronchi and lungs with a viral infection...

Dr. Bleakley :

Polyflex is an injection of the same antibiotic so would have been given for the same reason.

Dr. Bleakley :

Viral infections are difficult to treat and treatment is usually supportive only. You can give supplements with antiviral action such as "l lysine" but efficacy is poorly proven...

Dr. Bleakley :

It usually just takes time. They can last 7-21 days. Just keep her well fed and hydrated and away from other cats as it's contagious.

Dr. Bleakley :

If you are interested in more information here is a link to a succinct summary of upper respiratory infection in cats: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/feline-upper-respiratory-infection/4102

Dr. Bleakley :

Is there anything else I can do for you today?

Customer:

If I were to take her to the animal hospital, would they provide any other medication for treatment the eye?

Dr. Bleakley :

Unlikely. They might just put her on a supplement like l lysine. Some vets might give antibiotic eye drops in case of secondary infection but if Abbey's already on amoxicillin it wouldn't be indicated.

Customer:

Thank you.