CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 31 years of clinical experience, with the past 22 years being in a feline-exclusive practice.
74496554

I have a 4 month old kitten I adopted from animal control.

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old kitten I adopted from animal control. She breathes very rapidly and her breaths seem shallow. Its always been that way. I took to a vet a week after I adopted her, she checked out fine. She has a healthy appetite and is very playful, but sometimes she pants when we play for a while. Her eyes and nose are mucus free.

Additionally she has sneezed 4 times in the last three days. I recently moved and there is losts of dust from the packing materials, I'm wondering if she's reacting to the dust?

She had one of her front legs amputated due to a nerve disorder, so I want to make sure I provide her with the best home. Do I have need for concern she coukd have picked up a respitory infection while she was at animal control and the vet missed it or is her rapid breathing part of being a kitten?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 11 months ago.

CalCatDoc :

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your questions about Miss Boo.

CalCatDoc :

The normal respiratory rate for cats is 25-36 breaths per minute. But that's for adults. Kittens do breathe much faster: 60-100 at about 8 weeks, and it gradually decreases. Many kittens will play so rambunctiously that they wind up panting - they don't have the sense to slow down that older cats do.

CalCatDoc :

If there is a lot of dust around, the sneezing could be from that. But many kittens, especially those out of animal shelters, have upper respiratory infections. These are most commonly due to feline herpesvirus, which (like herpes in people) is somethiing that may bother them periodically throughout life.

CalCatDoc :

If she is eating enthusiastically and doesn't have any eye problems or listlessness, this respiratory infection may not warrant treatment. I do tend to treat suspected herpes cases with a lysine supplement to try to decrease the risk of ocular complications or chronic sinusitis down the road, and to decrease viral shedding.

Customer:

Can I purchase a lysine supplement at the pet store?

CalCatDoc :

Yes you can. There are different brands, let me find you a link so you know what we are talking about.

Customer:

When I took her to the vet he said she was fine, but as I said she's a special kitten, so I want to make sure she's a-ok

CalCatDoc :

She is probably just fine. If that sneezing increases, if she develops a squinty eye or yellowish eye discharge, or if she acts like she isn't feeling well you should get her looked at because some of these guys will run quite a fever and get dehydrated, and some (but not most) will need antibiotics.

CalCatDoc :

She might be doing that open mouth breathing if she has a stuffy nose, but they also can pant just like dogs from exertion.

CalCatDoc :

I nirmally give 250 mg lysine twice a day to kittens her size and age.

CalCatDoc :

*normally

CalCatDoc :

The product I use is Viralys powder. You mix the granules into a small amount of canned food (not a whole meal) so you can be sure they eat the whole dose.

Customer:

Perfect. She weighs 4.5 pounds. I will purchase the Viralys lysine and watch the sneezing, especially after I get all the boxes out of the house. Thank you

CalCatDoc :

Ok, bookmark this page for easy return if you have any other questions for me about her.

CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have 31 years of clinical experience, with the past 22 years being in a feline-exclusive practice.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Dr.,
I purchased the Lysine, it came with a tiny little scoop( the size equivalent of a 1/8 tsp.) the directions state for cats under 6 months in age to administer 1/2 a scoop 2x a day. You had suggestions 250 mg, I don't know what that is equivalent to in terms of teaspoons. My Internet research yeiled various results. Myvquestion is what does 250mgs covert to? Also, what is the time frame for administering the lysine?
Thank you.
Your jar of lysine powder should say somewhere on it how many milligrams (mg) per scoop. Usually it's 250 mg per scoop with the brands I have seen. So that's one scoop twice a day, and make it a slightly rounded scoop. If you can't find the information on the label, let me know the brand name and specific product name and I can find out for you.

I always start by treating a minimum of 2 weeks, and then depending on results might continue that same dose for considerably longer. Generally the worse the condition, the longer I treat at the higher dose. When they are back to normal and have been for a couple of weeks, I'll drop the dose to once a day for a while longer. Because it's just a supplement and not a pharmaceutical, we can be flexible and give it as long as needed. I have some patients who have needed it to one extent or another for years, though this is the exception.
Hi Arlette,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Boo. How is everything going?

CalCatDoc
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dr. CalCat,

Thank you for following up. In response to your previous question in response to my dosage question, the brand I purchased was "tomlyn" as it was the only brand the pet shop had. After receiving your response I looked over the packaging again and realized I had missed a label noting the scoop included measured 500mg. As per your and the packaging directions I have been giving her 250mg 2x day.

Boo seems to be doing alright, her appetite remains healthy and she continues to be very playful. No sneezing today, I am hopeful the lysine will do the trick.

Thank you again.

Arlette

Happy to hear that!