Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

I noticed my cats botXXXXX XXXXXp on the one side was swollen a

I noticed my cats botXXXXX XXXXXp on the one side was swollen a couple days ago. He eats and drinks just fine and acts like he always does. Yesterday i was gone from what I saw and tonight his whole botXXXXX XXXXXp area is swelled up. He is still eating and acting like normal though. I tried to look in his mouth and it wasn't easy. Not sure if the botXXXXX XXXXXp bothers him, but he tried to get away. Teeth look fine though and his breath doesn't smell bad. I have 2 other cats and they swat each other at times so maybe he was scratched. I just dont see anything. Should I rush him to a vet on a holiday weekend or watch how he is the next day?

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

At this time it is probably what's called a rodent ulcer, this is more of an immune system reaction, very loosely similar to a human cold sore. As long as it's not causing a decrease in appetite or excessive drooling or pawing at his mouth then this likely can wait until Tues. If the appetite stops then it's time to head to the vet this weekend.

Dr. Dan
Hi Cyndi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chino. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan