CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 31 years of clinical experience, with the past 22 years being in a feline-exclusive practice.
74496554

My male cat is 16 years old (probably). He appears doing

My male cat is 16 years old (probably). He appears doing very well. But I got a concern when I took him the annual exam since blood test suggested his liver enzyme was 119 that is higher than normal and his thyroid score was also the upper limit of the normal range. His vet said I can bring hi back to check it again 6 months from now if I have a concern. What do these scores suggest?

I lost 2 old cats already. This is the only one I have. I may be too be worrying about him too much.

I'm feeding him Science Food mixed with GNC vitamins and CoQ1-10. I also feed a little bit of canned food. He is 16Ibs, obese. But he has been the healthiest one among three cats that I had.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.

CalCatDoc :

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and help with your questions about Ckiku.

CalCatDoc :

I'll need to ask a few questions to get a better feel for the situation Do you recall which of the liver tests showed the 119? If it was the ALT, that number is XXXXX barely above normal so by itself it doesn't raise any red flags if the cat is well and not vomiting or losing weight. It does, however, need to be monitored over time in case it is an indication of something starting to go wrong.

CalCatDoc :

As far as the borderline high thyroid hormone level goes - again, given that he is obese, if he isn't actually doing any unplanned weight loss or having a vomiting problem, it is just something that should be looked at again down the road. The one thing that all truly hyperthyroid cats have is weight loss (other symptoms vary).

CalCatDoc :

I think your vet's recommendation makes sense. If you are really concerned, you could do the repeat lab work in 3 or 4 months rather than 6. You want to be sure to have them do a urinalysis at the same time - I always look at both blood and urine tests unless we are following a limited number of individual numbers. Urine specific gravity is a vital indicator of kidney function and shows trouble long before the blood tests will.

CalCatDoc :

It sounds like he is one of those lucky older cats that has managed to escape major problems in his older years. Science Diet is an excellent choice for his food and probably has a lot to do with his good health.

CalCatDoc :

Do watch out for any appetite problems or lethargy/weight loss because those can be a sign that there is a legitimate liver problem. And weight loss in and of itself raises concern about the thyroid, and also kidney problems and diabetes (which obese cats are at increased risk of).

CalCatDoc :

Please bookmark this page so you can navigate back here easily. If you have any additional questions or concerns, you can continue this conversation with me in Q&A mode rather than live chat. I hope this has been helpful and reassuring to you.

CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have 31 years of clinical experience, with the past 22 years being in a feline-exclusive practice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. He is doing very well and looks healthy. Is there anything I have to be careful?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess something like that (Vet said A something).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go now because my client came here earlier(I'm a psychologist). Can I talk with you again later?
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.
How odd, I didn't see any of what you typed until I switched to Q&A.

Yes, you can return here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I didn't respond. It helped me a lot thank you.
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear that!
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian