Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of companion animal experience

For years I had two cats - a Siamese and Himalyan who got along

For years I had two cats - a Siamese and Himalyan who got along great. I had to put the Siamese to sleep about two years ago, and the 13 year-old Himalyan really seemed to come out of her shell and spend more time with me. About 2-1/2 months ago, I took in a 3-year old calico cat that was dropped off at a visitor center in a national park. I kept the new cat in a separate room for several weeks before opening the door and letting them get face to face. Now I keep the new cat in her room at night. My older cat spends much of the day under the bed, but when they meet in the hall, she makes noises that you would think were coming from a 70-pound cheetah! I'm not sure what else to do. Any suggestions?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Steve :

Hi, I'm Dr STeve. This sounds like an anxiety issue from the presence of the new cat. Most cats will develop a relationship where they know who is boss and that the other cat is not a threat. Your older cat may not have come to that understanding yet. She likely feel threatened by the new cat as well as the change of her environment. Going from having you all to herself to having to share you and her house with a rival cat can be very difficult for some cats to cope with

Dr. Steve :

There is a product called Feliway that is a pheromone spray that helps to calm a nervous cat and make them feel safe. I have had clients use this by putting the nervous cat in a familiar room with the spray and this can help them deal with the new cat.

Dr. Steve :

By having a place to go where she feels safe, she may not be nervous or anxious all the time like she may be feeling now.

Dr. Steve :

Unfortunately this doesn't work with all cats and it may just take more time with some cats. The only way to know is to try and see how she responds. Can you see my answer I am checking to see if the site is working

Dr. Steve :

I can not see your reply, could you send another short message

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
I am sorry, but I could not see your reply and I switched to this mode to continue our conversation. Hopefully you can see my answers now. As I was saying, feliway is a good product in some situations with some cats, but it is the only product of its type and it may be something that could help your situation. THe other option is to just wait it out until your older cat becomes comfortable with the younger one. I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the submit button so i=I may receive credit for my answer. I will check later to see if you have more questions. THanks for using justanswer and good luck.
Dr. Steve, Veterinarian
Experience: 20 years of companion animal experience
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What is the probability/possibility that they don't work it out. How often does that happened?