Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

my cats ears are all scabby, red and sore from her scratching

my cats ears are all scabby, red and sore from her scratching them. What could be the problem

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Does Winnie go outside or have you brought a new cat into the household? Any changes in her food or treats?

Customer:

No she is an inside cat - never goes out. My other cat is her sister the same age.

Dr. Scarlett :

Ok, so ear mites seem pretty unlikely.

Customer:

yes - but the sores are only on the outside of her ears

Dr. Scarlett :

Ear infections can certainly crop up in inside cats. Often due to some type of allergy. Food sensitivities commonly cause scratching and sores around the ears and in the area just in front of the ears.

Dr. Scarlett :

Do you feel any scabs anywhere else? Are they on flea preventative?

Dr. Scarlett :

Any other changes--with amount of water she drinks, appetite, weight loss/gain, energy level, etc?

Customer:

No nowhere else. No flea preventative. She always drinks a lot of water and she has been checked for diabetes which she does not have. i will have to take her to the vet I was just wondering if you might advise if there is an ointment that I could put on them because I know she's uncomfortable.

Dr. Scarlett :

You could put some hydrocortisone cream or a triple antibiotic cream on it until you are able to get her to the vet. Rub it in well and try to keep her from licking it immediately.

Dr. Scarlett :

If she is scratching a lot, you could also give her chlorpheniramine. This is an antihistamine that you can get OTC. Benadryl is really bitter to cats, so I would stick with 1/2 of a 4 mg chlorpheniramine tablet twice a day instead.

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Scarlett :

Hope it helps!