Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Feline Veterinarian in Practice 15 Years

My friend has a male cat that is 13 years of age. Its overweight,

My friend has a male cat that is 13 years of age. It's overweight, but it has a strange situation thatI've never seen before on it's back. It has two large clumps of hair that becomes a solid mass. She's afraid to do anything about it, but did sedate the cat once and was able to cut the masses down. They are about 2 1/2 inches long and about 1/4 or more inches thick. She said " they grow back the same way each time.
What is this and is there something I can put on this area to stop this from happening again There is still about a 1 1/2 inch length left on one, and I have not attempted to do the other one yet. He let me cut it with no sedation.
Would appreaciate any help.
Thank You,
Caroline Stiver
Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help. Most likely, her boy is unable to groom that area of his body because of his "love handles." She could put him on a diet. There are many over the counter weight control diets to try. Wellness brand is one of my favorite. If the over the counter weight control formulas do not work, her vet could prescribe one that I know will work. Unless he loses weight, he will continue to develop mats over his back. The best way to remove the mats is with a clippers. Sometimes the scissors cut the skin by accident. Brushing over that area of the back, everyday, will help prevent the formation of further mats. I hope this helps. If you have additional questions, please reply. Thanks