Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.

Please help. My 11-mo old cat is in a rapid state of decline.

Customer Question

Please help. My 11-mo old cat is in a rapid state of decline. I am a registered nurse & will explain his presentation as accurately as I can.

3 wks ago, he began to demonstrate loss of interest in play, & general decreased activity. I took him in 4 days ago as he was increasingly lethargic with appreciable weight loss. He had soft inspiratory wheezing & scant green nasal discharge at that time.

He was febrile but was not mounting any kind of immune response at all; the vet did note a low hct of 25, and very mild increased liver values, the one specifically I recall was a bili just above normal. He was generally ill-appearing, like a very lackluster geriatric cat. The vet thought his presentation might be consistent w/ mycoplasmosis.

He sent him home on Baytril, clavamox, & sq Ringer's. In the past 48hrs, Casper has seriously deteriorated, w/ impaired neurological fxn & urinary incontinence. He can no longer jump and his posterior legs are slipping under him on ambulation.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 1 year ago.
Hello there,

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Has the cat been screened for feline leukemia and AIDS?

Has the HCT been rechecked?

Does the cat appear jaundiced?

Does the cat go outside?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was re-checked for feline leukemia & AIDS, both neg last week.

He did go outdoors until he lost interest in activity.

I just checked him, and he does appear jaundiced at his lips/ mouth and the membranes in the corners of his eyes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, no recheck on the hct.

Also no resp distress.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His nose is very dry and warm.

Respirations 28/min at rest.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 1 year ago.
The situation does not sound too good. The low HCT and jaundice can indicate an immune mediated hemolytic anemia. This is not very common in cats but can cause the symptoms. There are also blood parasites and toxins that can cause hemolytic anemia as well. The main concern is the jaundice. It is either a result of red blood cells being destroyed or a problem in the gall bladder or liver. Jaundice cats have a very guarded prognosis. The specific cause for the jaundice needs to be determined. An ultrasound of the abdomen may need to be done. If immune mediated, high dose steroids are typically used. If there is a blood parasite, doxycycline is often used. If there if hepatic lipidosis, a stomach tube and or force feeding is needed. These cats need to be hospitalized in all cases until the symptoms are under control. If there is an ER clinic in your area, an exam today is warranted. IV fluids will be needed until the specific diagnosis and treatment plan can be established. In general, jaundiced cats have a less than a 50/50 chance of recovery. In a young cat, the odds are better but immediate care is always needed.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANK YOU, XX XXXXX! I truly appreciate your thoughtful response.

Last question: Is his ataxia/neurological decline consistent with what almost certainly seems to be some type of hemolytic anemia?

I am taking him in to be seen straight away.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 1 year ago.
It can be if the anemia is severe enough. Low RBCs means low oxygen levels in the body and hypoxia results. That can certainly can neuro signs. If the liver or gall bladder or some toxin is the cause, neurological signs can also result.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 1 year ago.
Hi Allison,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Casper. How is everything going?