Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

A stray cat has adpted us. It has a an ocal shaped patch of

A stray cat has adpted us. It has a an ocal shaped patch of hard-looking skin, with no hair. We are not able to get close enough to examine but have been feeding it. If we spray with home remedy for mange, could there be a problem? IF NOT MANGE, WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE? Thanks for help. Kathryn
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 1 year ago.
Hello there,

Where is the area of hair loss?

How large is it?

Is the cat acting itchy or scratching constantly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The bald patch is on top of her back, halfway between neck and tail.

It is an oval shape ... three to four inches long and two inches wide. It looks like very hard skin ... not red.

Cat does not scratch at all.

It appears that there is another small bald patch starting behind the other.

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 1 year ago.
Mange in that area would be unusual. Mange also causes severe itch. It usually causes thickened skin around the face, ears and neck first. If it is not mange and you treat it with mange spray it should not cause any problems as long as there are no open wounds. If the cat is a stray the skin lesions could be scar tissue from a fight or accident, burns, ringworm, allergic dermatitis as with flea allergy or bacterial infection secondary to underlying issues like feline leukemia, AIDS, etc..
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are there cures for these other issues? What would you recommend we do now? Thanks for your help. Kathryn

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing to do for scar tissue. Any infection will require oral medications. Ringworm is never easy to treat. Topical treatments are not usually enough to kill fungal spores or deep seated bacterial infections. There is not really much to do with a cat you can't touch. The cat should be screened for leukemia and AIDS and vaccinated for rabies before anyone handles it for safety's sake. You for sure do not want to get bitten by an unvaccinated cat. If there is a cat care coalition in your area they may trap the cat and get her treated fro you.