Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience treating dogs, cats, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, & iguanas
49838867

My cat is not eating and is vomiting quite often. We have tried

My cat is not eating and is vomiting quite often. We have tried different foods and she still won't eat. She used to run to the kitchen when we shook the treat bag, now she won't even eat the treats. She is vomiting so much that sometimes she just vomits foam. We don't know what to do. We took her to the vet and they ran tests and said she was fine. She is NOT fine! She still won't eat. What should we do? She hasn't eaten in about four days. I'm really worried! Please help.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I am sorry to hear that Satin has lost her appetite, isn't drinking and is vomiting and I'd like to help. I agree that even if they could not find anything on exam and basic blood tests were normal she obviously isn't if she won't eat and continues vomiting.

Vomiting can be related to chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease, heartworm disease, hyperthyroidism (a tumor of the thyroid gland) internal organ failure, a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

Because she isn't eating or drinking and continues to vomit I am very concerned about her. She will quickly become dehydrated and as her liver breaks down fats for energy to live she may develop a type of liver disease called hepatic lipidosis.

If she goes outdoors exposure to infections, toxins and eating things she should not are real concerns.

If she is indoors only then internal organ disease, including pancreatitis, liver and kidney disease or even infiltrative intestinal disease or tumors are more likely.

I am glad to see that she saw a veterinarian and that they ran blood tests. Do you know what they were and did they take radiographs and/or perform an ultrasound to evaluate her?

If basic blood tests were normal then more specific tests such as a feline specific pancreatic lipase (fel specPL), a heartworm test or an abdominal ultrasound may be more diagnostic.

In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate her.

Until you can have her seen there are some things you can try at home.

At home to try and settle her stomach and stop her vomiting you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and should help her feel better.

If she stops vomiting you can use a medicine syringe to try and force water into her orally.

I also recommend feeding soft foods mixed with water to make eating and swallowing more comfortable.
If she is refusing to eat even soft foods you can try offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.

If she continues to not eat she should see a veterinarian for another examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr. Kara. The vet visit was supposed to cost us $53. Because of the tests they wanted to run, it ended up costing almost $300. We cannot afford more visits like that, unfortunately. Satin only eats dry food. She doesn't eat moist food or human food. We can put a piece of chicken on the floor and she'll sniff it and walk away. Is there something we can add to the chicken and rice mixture that may attract her more?

Also, my mom said she saw Satin eating the plants that are in our house. She thinks Satin may have eaten something that is poisonous to her. She hasn't been getting near the plants for weeks now, though. Would that still be making her sick?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I understand that the previous veterinary visit has drained your family's finances.

If the plants were behind her loss of appetite and continued vomiting I would have expected signs of toxicity to show up on her blood tests and that wasn't the case. I think she ate the plants because she was feeling nauseous and unwell even then.

We need to get her feeling less nauseous before she will eat so try the acid reducers first.

It may help to add warm chicken broth or microwave it as cats like to eat strong smelling foods and that should increase its odor. You can also try adding a little chicken broth to her dry food and microwaving it for a few minutes to get it smellier.

If she stops vomiting ask your veterinarian to prescribe an appetite stimulant such as mirtazapine or Cyproheptadine.

Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience treating dogs, cats, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, & iguanas
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Melina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Satin. How is everything going?

Dr Kara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help. We tried the things you suggested but she just got much worse. She was too weak to go up the stairs and all she did was lay around. Yesterday we took her to the humane society to be put to sleep.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for letting me know about Satin. My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

I know it was very hard to make that decision but because she was getting worse and weaker I believe that you made the most humane decision for her in letting her go.

I am sorry to hear that things didn't work out the way that we all were hoping for, please know that you and your family are in my thoughts. You did the very best that you could for her, I hope that gives you peace, take care, Dr. Kara.