brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

female 16, is having distress swallowing and head shaking.

female 16, is having distress swallowing and head shaking. able to eat soft food and alittle water only. help
Hi, I'm Dr. Friend. I will help you make a plan for Rosebud today. How long has she been acting this way?
I don't know how your question was placed in the dog category, but I can still answer your question. Can you reply to my questions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she has been on the decline for months now, weighing in at about 7 lbs.

rosebud has always had a very good appitite until yesterday when I noticed the difficulty swallowing and head shaking. she is also very verbal. we are in touch with our vet on a regular basis

Excellent. Can you tell me what tests your vet has already done? Any blood work? Does she go outside? Has she always been vocal, or is that a new development?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all test, current on all shots, does go out occassionaly, I thought maybe she ate a bee and stung with the response in her throat activity. could it be a stroke?

I think that it is unlikely that she's had a stroke. However, it is possible that she was bit or stung by an insect, but that would not cause the long term weight loss. Her signs could also be in response to dental disease or an ear problem.

I recommend having her evaluated by your regular vet. I would start with a physical exam and some current blood work. She may need sedation for a thorough oral exam. Hopefully, this will be enough to give us a diagnosis and begin as treatment plan.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any way by the website unless you Accept). Thanks!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Friend..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the other noticable sign is that she is having a hard time lowering her head. I am putting her water and food plate at an elevation to ease her discomfort. she is unable to eat crunchy food and is still shaking her head, almost like a tremer. please advise

This seems to be related to a local source of discomfort. Ears, teeth, lymph nodes, etc may be inflamed and painful causing the head shake, difficulty eating, and discomfort when bending her neck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what do I need to do before a vet visit on Tuesday? I will take her to emergency if symtoms begin to escalate. thank you

Continue to offer canned food and encourage her to drink using dilute chicken broth and tuna juice. You can try warm compresses around her neck, jaw and ears for 5 minutes at a time if she tolerates it.

Keep her inside so she doesn't get into trouble and so that you can monitor her.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe that this could be related to her right ear. after checking it, there is some darker residue that I just cleaned out. she has a history of this. I have orbax oral and clavamox pills. should I start her on one of these?
I really appreciate your help!

No, unfortunately, oral medications do not trend to be helpful in cases of feline otitis. More often, topical medications are required.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will
try the compress at this time. thanks

You're welcome!