Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My cat has allergies to " off the shelf" catfoods causing it

My cat has allergies to " off the shelf" catfoods causing itching. She gets allergy shots about every 3 months. We have tried Hills allergy foods until she just quit eating them and now i'm at a loss. Any suggestions? Would be willing to prepare her food. Only problem is she really doesn't care for "people" food.:-)

Hello, I am very sorry to hear about Sakie's food allergies.

There are a few very good prescription hypoallergenic foods out there. I would try Royal Canin Duck and Green Peas, or Veterinary Hypoallergenic HP, or Purina Veterinary Diets HA.

If you want to try making food for her at home I recommend working with a veterinary nutritionist to make sure you are feeding a balanced diet. It is not easy to formulate a restrictive diet. Here is a link to a web page that will help you find someone to work with:

There is a company listed on that page called BalanceIt that formulates dietary supplements for homemade diets which will design a diet recipe for Sakie based upon her allergy history and likes. Many owners have been quite happy with their services.

Best of luck with Sakie, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Cloy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Kara
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Kara,

Thank you for your follow-up about Sakie. I was not able to look on line to find the food you recommended but planning to do that now. My Vet only carries Hills and she won't eat it. Will let you know how things progress.

Thanks again.

I just wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions.

Good luck with Sakie. I know food allergies can be very frustrating, not only finding something they aren't allergic to, but then trying to convince them to eat it. There will be something out there for her, but it may not be easy to find.