Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

My cat is refusing to eat or drink for 3 days. Very lethargic

My cat is refusing to eat or drink for 3 days. Very lethargic and wants to be alone. She is 12 yrs old. We have a new dog in the house for 3 wks. I wonder if she is upset about that or has a serious illness. Please help!
Hello there,

Sorry to her about your situation. The new dog may certainly have started the problem but if she has not drank anything in 3 days, the problem is serious. Cats that do not eat can go into liver failure within a few days. There is also a very long list of other things that can affect a 12 year old cat to put them off food. Kidney/liver disease, fever, diabetes, infection, toxin infection, pancreatitis, tumors, etc. are just a few. I would certainly have the cat examined as soon as possible. Blood tests will likely be needed and treatment and prognosis will depend on what the diagnosis is.
Hi Lorraine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Dr. Scott. I took your advise and got Trixie to the vet the next morning. She has a virus. The vet gave her an anitbiotic and a shot. She is 75% better today!! It is amazing. I was so afraid I was going to lose her.

Lorraine Davis