Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years as a dog and cat veterinarian. I also run an ear and skin clinic for dogs and cats.

my cat has a tooth abcess-home remedy

my cat has a tooth abcess, but is scared of everyone, hospitals, other people and his abcess appears to be under the right side of his lip and is starting to smell. I can't seem to get him into the kennel to get him to the veterinarian. What can I do at home? Also, what home remedy can I give him to sedate him somewhat to get him in the cat kennel when I find a cat dentist in my Mattapan, MA area?

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a vet for 33 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

If the lesion is only on the lip, it may not be an abscessed tooth, but a "rodent ulcer" which is an allergic phenomenon of cats called the eosinophilic granuloma complex of cats. Here is a photo of one of those.

http://www.mypetsdentist.com/site/view/113047_EosinophilicGranulomaComplex.pml

Sometimes these can be treated with an antibiotic called Clavamox and oral steroids. Your vet may prescribe these for you without seeing the cat, but most will not prescribe without and exam.

At home, there is nothing really that you can do except put a salty solution of water on it several times daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I said that the abcess was under his right lip or cheek. it's up close to his nose area near the gum line for his teeth. there is no abcess on the lip or rodents in the house.

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
An abscess is a pocket of pus. If there is not a pocket of pus, then it could also be something called a FORL (Feline Odontoclastic Resorptive Lesion), which is a cavity under the gumline that causes redness and pain in cats. A RODENT ulcer does not mean that you have rodents in your house. Laughing It is just a name for the lesion. If you want to sedate the cat for a vet visit, I have 2 suggestions. First, you can try Benadryl. That is actually what is in SOMINEX, the sleeping pill. The other suggestion is to call the vet and ask if you can buy one ACEPROMAZINE tablet to give to the cat about an hour before his appointment. ACE is a very potent tranquilizer and it will sedate the cat pretty well for the car ride and the vet's office smells and noise.

Home remedies for cats with mouth problems is very difficult because cats resist having anything put into their mouth. Again, warmed, salty water will help kill some bacteria, decrease the swelling and rinse away much of the odor. If the cat is painful, you can use baby ORAGEL on the mucous membrane to desensitize the gums.
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years as a dog and cat veterinarian. I also run an ear and skin clinic for dogs and cats.