DrChristineM, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in small animal medicine, focus on feline medicine

My 9 year old cat is sneezing and is lethargic. He always follows

My 9 year old cat is sneezing and is lethargic. He always follows and sits on me but instead stays in a warm room under a heater. He eats fairly well but dosent really want to jump up on high places.Do cats get colds and this will go away? He is not acting his usual Maine coon cat self. Thankyou
Thank you for your question. I just have a couple of questions for you so I can give you the best answer possible.

Is Harley indoor only or indoor/outdoor?

Has Harley been exposed to any new cats (new cats in the house or has he gone to the vets/groomers for example) in the past couple of weeks?

Is he having any discharge from the nose or eyes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Harley is an indoor cat.No new cats but a visitor dog. His nose dosent run but seems dry. He sneezes big wet sneezes occationallyHe dosent do his usual things of sleeping with me and sitting on & in the sink in the A.M.

Thank you for the additional information. The symptoms that you are describing are consistent with an upper respiratory infection. These infections are usually caused by viruses and in most cats will run their course in a week or two. They are similar to colds in people and can make cats feel quite "icky"--not wanting to do their normal activities for a few days.

If he is eating and drinking well, then you are safe to monitor him for a few days. If he becomes severely lethargic, stops eating/drinking, or seems to be running a fever, you should consider having him seen as antibiotics may be needed to help him overcome the infection.

In the meantime, some things that can help are keeping the nose and eyes clean (gently wipe away any discharge with a warm, moist cloth). Keep him well hydrated by adding water to any food you are already feeding. Steam can also help. If the appetite seems slightly decreased, it may be from congestion and sometimes warming the food can help, just make sure it is not too hot.

I hope this information is helpful, please let me know if I can clarify anything or if you have any additional questions!
Hi Priscilla,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Harley. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Harley seems to be a little better every day but still not himself. Do you think this could be a heart problem ?

Based on they symptom you described, it doesn't sound like heart problems. Heart issues usually manifest with either cough, open-mouth breathing or sudden death. We don't generally see lethargy, poor appetite and sneezing. Of course, the only way to know for sure that the heart is 100% ok is to do an echocardiogram--but with the symptoms you have described, I wouldn't think of the heart as a primary concern right now.