Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Feline Veterinarian in Practice 15 Years

my cat has a wheezing sound when she starts to purr had for

my cat has a wheezing sound when she starts to purr had for about 2 months. Vet said it may be mucus ??? Gave her antibotics which I don't want to give her due to mycotixions ( spelling ?) Tested for hyperthroidism does not have. Other wise a very healthy cat. Thanks for your input. jane

I gave her Colidial Silver and newton's pet care of cough-asthma  She eats well 11#4oz, sleeps well, no behavioral changes.  Indoor cat and well loved.  White count alittle low does not have hyperthroidism as tested for.  No vomiting etc.  or other signs. thanks jane  what about nyastin for fungal infection ??? is that possible ??

Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
Did the vet say the infection/mucous was in her nose or lungs?
Were chest x-rays taken?
Do you remember the name of the antibiotic used?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

vet said lungs were clear. antibiotic is amoxiallin seperson 1ml 2xd
Amoxicillin probably will not help much.

It has been found that feline chronic upper respiratory infections are made up of a mixture of advanced bacterial and fungal organisms. Common antibiotics will not kill them. Cats with chronic sinusitis need to be on an antibiotic called "Zithromax" long term ( twice weekly) to reduce and control bacterial mixture. Zithromax is one of a few antibiotics (Macrolides) that reduces inflammation, white blood cell influx and biofilm which is very common in chronic infections of lungs and sinuses. Biofilm is basically a bunch of different bacteria living in a community and working together to make themselves really strong and resists detergents and antibiotics.

It is also helpful to first treat the sinus infection with topical hypertonic saline (1/2 strength or hypertonic saline) which is diluted (3-4 drops in nostril twice a day initially then twice weekly). You can purchase this over the counter at the drug store. Buy a syringe to administer it. This reduces thick mucousy debris and discharge before applying nose drops of antibiotics. Use antibiotic/steroid ophthalmic drops according to culture. Have your vet culture the drainage to see what is growing in the nose. Then an appropriate opthalmic eye drop can be chosen and applied to the nostrils to help fight the infection. I often use Neomycin/polymyxin/dex ophthalmic drops three times a day initially for 7-10 days.

Antihistamines, such as benadryl or chlorpheniramine, can provide some symptomatic relief. You have to give them every 8-12 hours.

The reason why these infections never clear is often due to previous viral damage to the cartilage in the sinuses. This is the cause of the long term problem. The chronic infections will keep occurring unless the damaged tissue is removed. So long term management is best therapy other than surgery.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

More info that might help. Tassels is fed 2 x's a day one raw (commercial)and one dry (Dick Van Patten's Naturial Balance). She has no drainage from nose or eyes etc.. Her symptoms are only when she starts to purr and then the wheezing will stop when she continues to purr. It is more like an anatomical issue maybe ?? Thank you for your info. I just don't want to fill her up on antibotics. Best wishes for a New Year. jane

Hi Jane,
If you really want to know what is going on, in her sinuses, then she could have an scope, with a tiny camera, passes into her sinuses. Usually you have to get a referral to a veterinary internal medicine specialist. Most vets do not have a scope that small.
She could also have an MRI done of her sinuses. Most likely you will have to go to a veterinary college to have this done. It is expensive though.
Sometimes plain x-rays, of the sinuses, will show abnormalities if there are severe. Otherwise plain head x-rays are not that useful.
I would at least try a short course of the zithromax. If it helps, then you know it's infection related. If not, then it could be anatomical. Usually though, the sinuses have been damaged by a previous respiratory infection so it ends up being anatomical as well as infectious.