DrChristineM, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in small animal medicine, focus on feline medicine

My cats symptoms started with her being finicky with food.

My cat's symptoms started with her being finicky with food. I thought she was just being spoiled and wanted something else to eat. Later she threw up the food she ate. Soon after that she constantly went to the litter box trying to urinate. Every 10 minutes or so. Most of the time it would be just a trickle or drops that come out. She would cry out after trying to use the litter. She eventually did urinate a few hours later.

Now she is being reclusive. She is laying under my bed and hasn't come out all day. She hasn't had food, water or used the litter all day.
Thank you for your question. Has Luna ever had any health issues like urinary tract infections in the past?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has some health issues, but I don't believe she has or had a UTI. I brought her in to the vet earlier this year and they tested her for UTI but said she did not have it. They checked her because there was a period of time she would urinate in her sleep. It was short lived fortunately.

Luna has hyperthyroidism and is taking medication twice a day for it.

The symptoms I originally spoke of have occurred twice before yesterday/today. Once about a month ago and once a few weeks before that. The second time it happened I brought her to the emergency clinic but at that time I thought that maybe she was constipated because it looked like she was straining to use the litter. I don't think it's constipation though. It seems like they was trying to urinate. The clinic did some tests but didn't find anything abnormal. They did an abdominal radio-graph.
Thank you for the additional information. From your initial post and the additional information, it sounds like there is definitely something going wrong with the urinary system--it is hard to say what at this point. All of the symptoms that you are currently describing (decreased appetite, vomiting, frequent trips to the litter box with little or no urine output, vocalization with attempts to urinate, and lethargy) can all indicate a problem with the urinary system. In an older cat this could be an infection, stones or crystals in the bladder, sterile inflammation of the bladder, or a tumor in the bladder. It may be time for some additional testing to determine what is causing this (a urine culture, blood work to check kidney function, ultrasound to look at the internal structure of the bladder and check for evidence of stones or tumors which are not always visible on x-ray are just some of the possibilities).

In the meantime, if you can get any water into her, it will be helpful. With a decreased appetite and vomiting, dehydration is the biggest concern. If she isn't drinking on her own, you can try using a syringe to get water directly into her mouth.

You can also give cranberry, which may help if she having any discomfort from an infection or inflammation. I would get the capsules that you can open up, mix one capsule in a small amount water and syringe it into her mouth, or if you can mix it into a food she will eat like baby food, that will work too.

I hope this information is helpful. If I can discuss anything further or if you have any other questions, please let me know!!
Hi Scott,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Luna. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took her to the vet yesterday to have some tests done. Blood work didn't show anything abnormal. They also did an ultra sound of her abdomen. That also did not show anything abnormal. They also did a urinalysis but I won't get the results of that for a few days.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Another update FYI....I just got word that the urinalysis turned up positive for an infection. They are going to do a another test to see what it is specifically. But it appears that an infection is the likely culprit. Very good news that I can attribute the problem to something which can be remedied rather easily.

I am glad that they were able to find something--hopefully treating the infection will help to clear up all the signs and symptoms that Luna is having! Please let me know if I can help in any other way.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. She is doing much better. Seems like her old self again.