DrChristineM
DrChristineM, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in small animal medicine, focus on feline medicine
23497452

My cat wont stop meowing

My cat won't stop meowing
Thank you for your question. I would like to try to help you figure out what is causing Boots to cry all the time. In order to do so, I just have a couple of questions I would like to ask in order to get some additional information:

When she was recently at the vet, did they just do the glucose curve, or did they also do any other blood work?
Has she lost any weight recently?

If you can let me know the answers to these questions, I will get back to you with some ideas on what could be causing Boots' meowing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. No other blood work was done

2. She is thinner

Thank you very much for the additional information.

The most common reason for an older cat to begin having increased vocalization is a condition called hyperthyroidism. This is a very common condition in older cats, and is fairly easily diagnosed with bloodwork (T4 +/- free T4 are the specific tests we run).

Some of the signs we can see in cats with this condition include (not all cats will have all the signs):
Increased vocalization
Agitation
Increased hunger
Vomiting/diarrhea
Weight loss

Treating hyperthyroidism is also very easy and straightforward. I strongly recommend using a transdermal form of the medication (it is applied to the inner surface of the ear). Oral forms are often not tolerated as they can nausea and vomiting. The transdermal form is super easy to use and very effective.

If it is determined that Boots has hyperthyroidism, treatment is usually effective at eliminating the symptoms (such as the excessive meowing) that you are seeing.

Here is a website with some additional information on this illness:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/hyperthyroid.html

I hope this helps, please let me know if I can answer any other questions.