Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM -13 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.
58825837

my cat is having rapid breathing, vomiting everything she eats

my cat is having rapid breathing, vomiting everything she eats and her pupils are dilated. She is an outside cat but we don't have any neighbors at all so it doesn't seem like she could be poisoned and we don't have any poisons she could get into. She seems lethargic as she doesn't want to play with her best friend our dog. Can you tell me what it might be?
Thanks
Jeff
Hello Jeff - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How often is she vomiting?

Is she able to hold down any water?

Is she eating?

Does she seem uncomfortable when you squeeze her belly?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

she vomits only when she eats. this started yesterday. she just ate some wet food and seems to be holding it down so far. no she doesnt seem to have any discomfort in her belly or anywhere. she just seems more flacid thwn usual.

Thanks for the additional information.

I am very sorry to hear that Precious is not able to hold any of her food down so far and is not feeling well. Dilated pupils, vomiting, breathing heavily, and acting lethargic are all very serious symptoms therefore I can understand why you are very concerned at this point. Here are the most common causes of her symptoms at this point:

- As you mentioned eating something toxic is a very common cause, many plants can upset a cats stomach as can certain insects and possibly even an animal that was deteriorating that she ingested
- Eating something that has become stuck inside of her intestines or stomach
- Pancreatitis which is a uncomfortable inflammatory disorder of the pancreas
- A liver or kidney disorder or infection
- An intestinal virus

Since her symptoms seem very serious at this point, I would always recommend taking her to a vet tonight to have a full exam and possibly an x-ray to make sure that there is not anything causing an obstruction in her intestines.

I am glad to hear that she is eating as this is a good sign, though if she continues to vomit the food back up then she really should be seen by a vet.

If you would like to give her something at home to help her with the vomiting then you can give her some pepcid AC. This is very safe for cats and can help relieve nausea in the stomach. The dose is about 2.5 mg or 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet every 24 hours. It is only available as a pill though which can be a little more difficult to give to cats.

Overall I do think that having her seen by a vet tonight would be best if possible.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Please do not rate my answer until you have all of your questions answered. If you are satisfied with the answer please do not hesitate to click on the "excellent service" button to compensate me for my efforts. Thank you in advance!