Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Any idea if is too much to give 10 mg of Prednisolone ( 5mg

Customer Question

Any idea if is too much to give 10 mg of Prednisolone ( 5mg pill, twice a day) to my cat? He had an x-ray today and the report says "his bronchi are a little thickened which can be consistent with feline asthma". My cat is fine, just a bit wheezy sometimes ( like once a month or even less) and I am worried the dose could be too high for him. He is 11 months and his weight is 4.500 kg. We were given pills only for one week then we must go for a check-up.

When my cat breaths heavily, all I have to do is to stroke him and he becomes ok, so his symptoms are not bad. In the last week he has been on and off his food, but kept eating, lost about 300-400 grams, had diarrhea for 2 days but has been very active. I don't know if that is to do with what was found on the x-ray today.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help.

In response to your question based on your cat's weight he is getting 1.1mg/kg of Prednisone every 12 hours. We can sometimes go as high as 4.4mg/kg, this is not too much for your cat.
Feline asthma is not related to the diarrhea; what you can do is change his diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken (50%) until stool is back to normal.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer.So, should I expect him to have a lot of side effects during his one week treatment? Or, is there any risk of giving him this medicine?

There is something I would like to add, my cat has been diagnosed today with conjunctivitis as well. I was reading that Prednisolone weakens the immune system, is it true?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Long term (months to years) the use of prednisolone can weakened the immune system and when we use larger doses at immunosuppressive doses; short term as in the case of your cat he will be fine; sometimes the medication can make them drink more than usual but this will go away once the medicine is stopped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more question I have and I will be done, knowing what were the findings of the x-rays, does he have to take treatment? Would his condition worsen if not treated?

Thank you in advance !

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
If there are symptoms and xrays findings consistent with asthma, always best to treat or the spasms can get worst. Some cats will have sporadic episodes, every patient is different.

Your Welcome.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am just writing to thank you again, you've helped me feel better about my cat's treatment. I will give it to him starting from tomorrow. All the best !

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I am glad I could help.

Your Welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, but I was talking to my husband and he would like to know if this treatment will cure our cat's problem completely and if those x-rays findings could be related to something else, not necessary feline asthma. Are there any other problems which could look on the x-rays same as feline asthma?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
No, this is not a cure; he could have another episode.

The pattern seen on xrays is consistent only with asthma.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is loosing 300-400 grams a lot? He diharrhea for 2 days, then he was very OK for another 2 days. After that he refused eating his food but as soon as I replaced it with something else he started eating again. In the last few days, he has been eating, but less than usual. He used to drink water 2-3 times a day, now he is not drinking at all, just eats his wet food.

The past 7 days were very strange, he had good days and bad days but his activity level was normal. What could be wrong?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
No, losing 3-400 grams is not a lot of weight to be concern. Change the diet as described above for the diarrhea.

I am not really certain what you mean by having good days and bad days; can you expand?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well.. his bad days means he had diarrhoea ( which he never had before), then when his diarrhoea got better, he stopped eating the food he used to love, then I've noticed that he eats less than usual and not drinking either. He used to urinate 2-3 a day, within the last week there were days when he did it only once.

He doesn't look ill, but, why he has all this "strange" behaviour all of a sudden?

P.S Eating rice and chicken doesn't work with him, I've tried and he would refuse it. He hasn't got diarrhoea any more but he still eats less than usual

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Urine out put is directly related to water consumption. If he is urinating less means he is drinking less. As far as the diarrhea, it can be caused by infections, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, parasites, etc.
Having diarrhea is not a behavioral problem but a manifestation of an underlying medical problem as described above. If your veterinarian did not see anything on plain xrays then the next step would be to consider doing a fecal analysis and blood work to rule out other possible causes for the diarrhea, in the meantime change the diet as described above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is something else I would like to know, what dosage of Prednisolone would you give a cat which has the same findings as mine on x-ray but no severe symptoms of asthma and how many times a day?

Last time I could hear my cat's breathing loudly than normal was 2 months ago, it lasted for about a minute, I went to him and as soon as I stroked him he was fine. I just heard him coughing for few seconds a week ago.

I just want to remind you, he is 4.500 kg and 11 months old

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
The dose for prednisone can range between 0.5-4.4mg/kg every 12-24 hours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you and I really appreciate your patience !

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to apologise, I gave a bad rating to your last message just by clicking the wrong thing, I was talking on the phone and I touched the mouse by mistake, I hope there is a way I could fix that as I really appreciate your help and answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What can I do if he missed a dose? This Sunday nobody will be home until 7 pm so he will miss his morning tablet, is it OK to give them both when we come back home?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
If you miss a dose do not double up the following dose, just keep him on the 5mg.