My 10 year old female black cat has not been eating or drinking. I have taken her to the vet twice already and still don't know what is wrong. Her liver enzymes are off, most likely due to starving herself, but the rest of the blood work and x-ray were normal. She got subcutaneous fluids both days, penicillin and cerenia yesterday, and a steroid and appetite stimulant today. She drooled both days upon getting home - maybe she got car sick? I have tried a variety of wet foods including tuna and creamer. I have tried using a syringe to feed her, but she spits most of it back up. When I take her outside she seems more like herself - "eats" grass and chases bugs, but she still won't eat. Gets more and more lethargic every day. Today she started gagging when I tried to give her food - justs smells it then gags once, but usually she just smells it and turns away. Her meows sound mournful and not like normal. It is hot here (80-90) and humid, I don't have air conditioning, but I make sure the fan is on in any room she is in. I don't know what else to do. I don't want to see her in the hospital since she is super scared of other people and I know it will be miserable for her.
Type of Animal: cat
Name of Cat: Vespa
seems like everything!
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!There are many reasons why a cat will not eat - some as simple as general stomach upset - but there can be more serious problems such as organ issues (kidney or liver) or even a blockage in the intestines.The reason we become concerned with a history such as this is that cats that do not eat, regardless of the underlying cause - can get secondary liver problems, (fatty liver disease - medical term for this is hepatic lipidosis) LINK HERE While that alone can explain the liver values - there are other causes.If the bloodwork is abnormal and you want to be proactive, getting a good look at all the organs for an underlying cause, as well as a liver if there is a concern for fatty liver, an ultrasound would be recommended (LINK HERE)Other options considered include:- Small amounts of water or diluted pedialyte for hydration and electrolytes (LINK HERE). - A calorie dense nutritional supplement such as nutrical (LINK HERE)- A high calorie, tasty prescription diet from your veterinarian called Hill’s A/D (LINK HERE)- Another option would be baby food. This should not have any ingredients such as garlic or onion.If the appetite is still a concern, even while we do testing and consider treatments, due to the importance of nutrition, feeding tubes are considered (RESOURCE HERE)But with your continued history and the liver values being elevated, an ultrasound and possible feeding tube would be the best consideration if hepatic lipidosis is the concern.I hope this helps! Please REPLY if more information is needed.Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) and bonus is appreciated as this is the way the professional receives credit for their time. If for any reason the rating box is not visible or you are unable to enter a rating, please send me a message. This is meant to be a running dialogue, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if more information is needed at any time BEFORE rating.Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet. Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.
You seem to have rated poor service.As this is correct and accurate medical information - I would guess you clicked the wrong button.If you would like to clarify yourself - please do so at any time and I would be happy to continue.
I am unsatisfied because the response seems like a cut-and-paste response to anything related to not eating. I was just hoping for some personalized information with all the information I provided. Especially since I am paying almost the same price as a normal vet visit. A general response that took less than a min was not what I was expecting.
You are reporting that you have an older cat, not eating, and high liver values.If you have any other information to offer, then the information above can become more specific.Otherwise - this is 100% medically correct information based on your specific information above.