allpetsdr
allpetsdr, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been practicing for 10 years. I work with exotic pets, dogs, cats, small ruminants and pigs.

my cat is listless, not eating, lying down all the time has

my cat is listless, not eating, lying down all the time has no energy, generally not herself, she is drinking occasionlly.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  allpetsdr replied 2 years ago.

Hi, this is Dr M and I will try to assist you today. I am sorry to hear that Millie is not feeling well. I switched to question-answer mode because my computer does not do well with chat mode. I will be here to answer all your questions till your are satisfied with the answer. So please, keep getting back to me until the question is completed.

I have few questions for you. Has she had a blood test and urinalysis? Has she had any other symptoms like vomiting? How long has this been going on for?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she has had no blood tests or urinalysis, this has been going on for 2-3 days, only slight vomiting 3 or 4 very tiny amounts on the first day, nothing since.
Expert:  allpetsdr replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. You said that Millie is 13 year old. Considering her age, one of the big concerns would be kidney disease. Kidney disease is a very common problem in cats. This can be a progressive disease in which the kidney's normal function decreases. In cats, the disease has a low progression. With time, the function of the kidneys can decrease to a point in which some waste products build in blood causing signs of sickness like dehydration and nausea. There is usually weight loss associated to it, too. Other important disease to rule out is thyroid disease. This disease can also cause weight loss and vomiting. In this case, there is usually an increase of appetite (at least during the beginning).

For more information, please check the following links:

- kidney disease

- hyperthyroid disease

Other important problems to rule out include cancer. Unfortunately, it would be important you consider doing some diagnostics first. Unless a diagnosis is made, this can become really frustrating for you because Millie may continue to decline. If you find out what it is, at least, your veterinarian may be able to give you an idea about prognosis and outcomes of the disease. A blood test would be around $100, but this depends on where you are located. Because Millie has already been seen at your vets office, then this will facilitate the process.

Expert:  allpetsdr replied 2 years ago.

I don't recognize synulox. Would you please tell me what it is on the label? Like what is the name of the drug contained into the package. I will tell you what we should expect for results to happen.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is on the vet statement it Just says, synulox RTU.
Expert:  allpetsdr replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the clarification. Synulox is the name of an antibiotic used in animals in the UK and Europe. As any antibiotic, we should see an effect in about 24 to 48 hours. Metacam is an NSAIDs. This is like an aspirin but for cats and dogs. This provides pain relief and anti-inflammatory. This should provide improvement within 24 hours from the injection. We should have seen something by today. Tomorrow is Sunday and vet offices would be probably closed. By Monday, Millie should be much better if this is working, otherwise you will have to consider doing more diagnostics.

Cats can get really sick if they are not eating for over 48 hours. Liver lipidosis can happen very quickly and complicate a disease process. For more information, please check this LINK.

You should try feeding her. You can do so by offering her many different types of cat can food to see if we can get her interested on something. You can add some tuna juice from a can into her food to get her somewhat stimulated. Can food is better accepted when it is a room temperature. If you add tuna juice or just water to her food, you can microwave for 5 seconds to warm it up a little bit. Please make sure it is not hot afterward, just mildly warm.

If she declines further, you should consider taking her to your vet or an emergency clinic for further testing and care. She is older and they do not handle sickness as well. Please let me know if you have any additional question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will see how she is for the rest of the weekend, this was something that came on suddenly, wednesday she was fine thursday was when this set in, she is drinking water on the odd occasion, as said she is my life, she was brought for me by a sister who within a week suddenly passed away, so as you can imagine means the world to me. thankyou for your help. Jackie.
Expert:  allpetsdr replied 2 years ago.
I think that may be fair, please try to encourage her to eat. If she is not eating you can try to feed her very soft cat food through a syringe. There are medications that can be used to stimulate appetite. If you decide to see your veterinarian on Monday and after some diagnostics are done, you may want to ask for this. In any case an appetite stimulant will nor work unless the primary problem (e.g. Kidney disease) is treated.

I can imagine how hard this is for you. I will be thinking on you. Please keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi sorry you will be tired with before too long, i have taken millie to the vet today on emergency, they have kept her in she is very dehydrated, so they are to try and sort that and also do a number of tests, eg bloods etc.
Expert:  allpetsdr replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear that. There is a chance you find something bad, but at least you will be able to make informed decisions and provide the best care for Millie. Whatever it is or happens, at least you are taking care of her. Please keep me posted with the results.
Expert:  allpetsdr replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jackie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Millie. How is everything going?

allpetsdr
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi thanks for all your advice, very well received, sadly millie was put to sleep on monday, she was found to have an agressive tumour, and was advised what was best for her, very sad but its not about me its about millies and all the other pets around the world that shouldn't suffer. again i do thank you from the bottom of my heart, thankyou very much, good and happiness always to you.
Expert:  allpetsdr replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. It is really hard to say good buy, but we know this is more...we'll see you later". At the end, it is all about them and to make sure they are suffering. If you are satisfied with the answers, please remember to give me a happy face. Thanks.
allpetsdr, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have been practicing for 10 years. I work with exotic pets, dogs, cats, small ruminants and pigs.