Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Feline Veterinarian in Practice 15 Years

Our cat is losing hair on his stomach, back legs, tail. He

Our cat is losing hair on his stomach, back legs, tail. He is eating, playing, purring, and catching lizards and birds.
We use Frontline , but he still seems to bite at himself alot. What can we do to get him relief? I'm concerned about using to many
flea products on him because he seems to be biting and cleaning himself more than usual.

Thanks in advance for your help

Candace Wallace
Mission Viejo, CA

Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

When did Jack's skin problem start?

Do you see any fleas or flea dirt (on lower back)?

What do you currently feed him?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's been about 4 weeks . We have been feeding him Purina complete for Adult cats. are changing him to "The Blue Buffalo Co." Healthy Living Chicken and Brown rice.
Yes I have seen fleas on him.

I swear the fleas are getting resistant to frontline. I went to a conference last winter and the speaker said they had found fleas, in Florida, that are resistant to frontline.

So the most likely cause of his problem is flea saliva allergy.

I would try "advantage" drops instead.

I would also add "lufeneron" which makes it so the fleas can not reproduce.

It is called "program." It comes in drops you can put in the food or pill form. the vet can also give it as an injection.

You can order it on amazon link

There is also an oral product called "capstar." It is a pill you give to kill the fleas. It works very well. I watch the fleas fall of the pet, dead. But each pill only lasts for 24 hours. You may want to try a few just to give him some relief. You can buy it amazon too.

I am not sure which itching spray you are using. I would try a hydrocortisone spray if you have not already tried that.

You can also give him an antihistamine for itching. Try chlopheniramine 4 mg tablets. Give 1/4 tablet every 12 hours.

If he does not have flea allergies, he may have food allergies.

Food allergies, in cats, shows up as skin lesions. Food allergies can develop over time. To determine if he has food allergies, he would need to be put on a completely hypo-allergenic diet for 6 weeks. The name of the diet is called "hills z/d." You have to get it from a veterinarian. There are no over the counter diets that will work for the food allergy test.

He could also have environmental, or inhalant allergies, which is called "atopic dermatitis." Your vet could do a blood test to see what he is allergic to. Then you could try and avoid what he is allergic to. She could also receive "allergy shots" to desensitize her to the allergens. Allergy shots are 50-70% effective in pets.

I would try treating for fleas, and flea allergies first.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please click "Reply."

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just treated him again with Fronline last week. Would it be safe to use Advantage today?
I have been using hydrocortisone spray, and it does seem to help.

Thank you,

You can not use the hydrocortisone too much. Apply it every 2 hours if you can.

The frontline apparently is not helping him.

If you could give him a bath, with out ending up bloody, then I would wash him in some dish detergent. That will wash a lot of the frontline off. Then when he is dry, you could apply the advantage.

Otherwise, you will need to wait another week to apply the advantage.

If you can not give him a bath, you could give him capstar tablets.

You may be able to buy them at petsmart. It is on their website. I would call first and make sure they have it before going there. I know they sell advantage.

Hi Candace,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dr. Gabby,

I'm happy to report that Jack is doing much better with the Advantage and his hair is coming back nicely. This is a great service!

Thanks so much for your help!

Candace Wallace
Yay! That is great. Thanks for letting me know : )