Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Does colloidal silver really help FIV? Is it best in a spray

Does colloidal silver really help FIV? Is it best in a spray or liquid form? I think an outdoor cat may have FIV and i want to try this alternative. He has lost weight, seems to have a sore mouth and has bad grooming if at all right now. He weighs about 6 pounds, so how much how often? I ordered the liquid. THX
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

No, there is almost nothing to support that this supplement would be of any benefit for FIV infection. Certainly, if there was some concurrent infection in the body, perhaps it could be of a little benefit.

But, this outdoor kitty may also have feline leukemia, possible intestinal parasites like giardia, coccidia, or worms. In addition, the sore in the mouth could be a ulcer associated with oral viral infection. That is on top of bacterial infection.

He is screaming to get into a vet for an initial assessment, FeLV/FIV testing, deworming, fecal test.
The vet could also start some lysine supplementation that can be good with viral infections, some antibiotics, etc...

There is no good universal dosing recommendation, but you can use the following as a guide:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6189130_administer-colloidal-silver-cats.html

Sorry that was not the most uplifting answer, but wanted to be honest.

Please reply ANY time more information is needed using the REPLY TO EXPERT button.

Please remember to leave feedback by selecting a SMILEY FACE followed by “Submit”
This is necessary, so I may receive credit from the website for my response, even if you are a subscribing member.

Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "bad" or "poor", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button. I would be happy to continue assisting further, and do everything I can to be of the greatest assistance.

REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. Any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet.
After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: Dr. Andy

If I may be of any further assistance in the future, please let me know. I was uncertain if my advice was helpful or informative.