CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My cat has a lot of scabs around her neck....she is on frontline

My cat has a lot of scabs around her neck....she is on frontline plus and she has had a depo shot...and she still scratches....what else can I do for her?
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

1) Is Lulu an indoor only cat?

2) Are there any other cats in the house? IF yes, do any of the other cats have similar signs?

3) Is this a problem all year long or just certain times of the year?

-
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

(1) yes

(2)yes

(3)off and on all year

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
(2)I have 7 cats total.....and they scratch also and have a few places on their necks but not like LuLu...hers is really bad....I know that lfeas are really bad this year and I use a flea comb on them and have found some fleas...I wash all bedding and vacuum .... 2 cats are outside cats...I am in the process of having my whole yard sprayed for fleas....
-

To confirm - there are fleas actively present on some of the cats?

-
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
last time I combed them I didn't get but just a few....but yes there are some actively on them.....why is the frontline not working?
I am glad that information came out in our discussion.

I was going to post a long history on food allergies and other allergies in cats causing a miliary dermatitis - but if there are fleas present - that is absolutely what we need to focus on NOW!

Expensive foods, or other medications will be useless (and even possibly not needed) until we get these fleas under control!

In this case - we really need to treat not only the pets - but your house environment as well!

Continue to use the flea comb daily - with repeated flea combing of all the pets to make sure the treatment is appropriate.

Vacuuming the house is VERY important.

Studies show that vacuuming can catch more than 95 percent of fleas.

The vacuum will also remove eggs and larvae from the carpeting bedding.

Vacuum daily for at least 2 weeks for the optimal outcome.

Often in these cases, we need to switch products. Change from Frontline to Advantage for example - and more than monthly, we treat with the topical medications every 2-3 weeks to be certain we are covering our bases.

Some choose to hire an external company, to bomb the house - removing the pet from the environment for a few days to be safe.

With this therapy - the issue should resolve!

IMPORTANT: Please reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if more information is needed at any time BEFORE rating.

Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) is appreciated as this is the only way I know you have received the information and I receive credit for my time.

Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what can you tell me about the medication

"Program" that is a oral alternative? Would that be a possible way to go with my kitties...and is it safe....and is it effective?

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes - Program *Lufenuron* is another alternative to consider.

I have good experience with this as well.

IMPORTANT: Please reply using the
REPLY TO EXPERT button if more information is needed at any time BEFORE rating.