Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

After seeing small rice-like worms coming out of my cats anus,

After seeing small rice-like worms coming out of my cat's anus, I gave her an over the counter dose of praziquantel. That was forty-eight hours ago and I'm seeing worms in her feces now and she is scooting. Should I give her another dose?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Can you tell me your cat's exact weight?
(since you appear to have given the >11lbs dose).

Are you seeing more worms today then previously?
Larger portions?

Was she scooting before you dosed her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My cat weighs 17 lbs. The difference today is that the worms are not coming out of the anus but are in her stool and look thinner but numerous. she was scooting before the first dose but I didn't see worms in her stool.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

It actually sounds like that dose was quite effective then. Since you have used a wormer in a cat who had a significant worm burden, you are now seeing the aftermath of treating (meaning dead worms). Where you had seen some small portions of proglottids (the egg filled segment the tapeworm releases) at the anus, now you have the actual worm being passed in the feces because the wormer has killed it. So, I would not give her anymore wormer at this time (she has had 34.5mg of prazi and the most we'd ever give her in a month period would be 38.5mg). Further worms might be passed but this will stop once the dead ones have all been passed.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX continue scooting, either she has impacted anal glands as well or she may still have some rectal irritation from the worms and scooting (since when you itch, the spot will then itch more). In this case, as long as there are no open ulcers or wounds, you can put a small dab of hydrocortisone (1%) cream on her rectum with a gloved finger to give her some relief. If the scooting doesn't settle, then have your vet or groomer check her anal glands and express them.

I hope this information is helpful.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
If you have no further questions, feedback is always appreciated.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
would the worms in her feces be moving, are they dying?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
The worms could still be moving but will be in the process of dying.
The drug affects their ability to latch onto the inside of the gut, and this allows them to be passed.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.