ER Vet
ER Vet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a veterinarian for 21 years taking care of cats in general and emergency practice.

my cat is not feeling well. Shes barely eating, rarely going

my cat is not feeling well. She's barely eating, rarely going to the bathroom and is in hiding constantly. I picked her up yesterday and noticed her entire private area and rear end were soaked in a clear liquid sort of discharge, No odor and it is not thick. Can you please offfer me some advice as to what is going on?
Hello, I'm Dr. XXXXX XXXXX and I'd like to help! I just need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

Is Chesney spayed?

Does she go outdoors?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Chesney is not spayed and very rarely goes outdoors. We recently moved though and she did get brave enough to venture outside in the dark and was gone for less then an hour. I havent noticed any changes between that time and now until this incident. She is a very tiny cat.
The most common cause of this type of change is fluid build up in her uterus. It can be either mucous or infection and can be very serious if this is confirmed to be coming from the uterus.

She should be taken to an emergency veterinarian this weekend and have blood tests and x rays. If this were urine or diarrhea you would be able to tell by the smell.

Typically the treatment for this condition is emergency surgery (hysterectomy), IV fluids and other medications as needed.

This occurs in maybe 10% of unspayed female cats.

There is a possibility that this discharge is something other than from the uterus but that is the most common cause.

If you have further questions, let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should there have been any warning signs I should have noticed? We are now going to an animal clinic in the morning. Is she in pain and is there anything i can do until our trip to the vet?
Most of the time there aren't any warning signs. Since she did get out, we may have to think about whether she could be pregnant. The typical pregnancy is 64 days in cats so if it was about 2 months ago that she got out, that is also a possibility.

Most of the time, cats don't seem to be painful but mostly lethargic or weak. Sometimes they will get dehydrated so it might be helpful to syringe feed her water every few hours.

Since she is a little cat, giving her 2 teaspoons of water very hour can be helpful.

I hope she is ok and they are able to take care of her problem for you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i did think about that and as bizarre as this may be i did gently feel around her belly area and didnt feel anything like i said she is very small about 5/6 lbs and a tough lil runt. I also checked hr nipples and did not notice any change. I did indeed google that and that was my first thought as to what was ailing her. I appreciate your continued help in this matter.My poor lil girl my dog even knows something isn't right with her. I will def do the feeding of the water to her bc i have not seen her go near her dishes in quite sometime.
Ok, that sounds good. See if you can get her to eat a little meat based baby food as well.
Hi christine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about chesney. How is everything going?

ER Vet